Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Cannon Pixma iP1800 printer that says there is a

Customer Question
paper jam and so won't...
I have a Cannon Pixma iP1800 printer that says there is a paper jam and so won't print untill the jam is cleared. But there is no paper jam!! How can I get this erroneous error cleared so I can us the printer again??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
8/13/2015
Technician: Thomas, Technician replied 2 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Technician

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved!

1. Open the Printer

2. Remove the paper from the tray

3. Unplug the printer

4. Remove the cartridges if they block your view. Take a light piece of cardboard or card stock paper and push through the rollers to dislodge any paper stuck in them you can't see.

5. Use a flashlight and see if you can find any jammed paper or foreign objects. Make sure that the printhead moves when you lightly push it. If you can see something but can't get to it, or even if you have a jam but don't see anything, pick the printer up, face the opening toward the ground and lightly shake it.

6. Using a can of compressed air (you can find these at walmart or the dollar store) and blow out the inside of the printer, along any access doors, and where the paper is fed. This removes bits of paper from places you can't see.

7. WHILE THE PRINTER IS UNPLUGGED, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

8. Now we're ready to setup the printer again. Return the paper to the tray, return the cartridges to the printhead.

9. Very important: Hold down the stop/cancel button. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on WHILE holding down stop/cancel.

10. If the error persists, let me know.

Please rate my answer positively once you're satisfied. If you need more help please reply instead of rating negatively so I can continue to help you.

That didn't do it. I'm still getting the three orange liights and the error notice on my computer. Any other ideas?

Does the error have a code with it?

No codes just the small window that says there is a paper jam and it tells me too remove the paper jam and press the resume button.
This printer doesn't have a stop/cancel button. All it's got is the power on button and the resume button.

Hmmm...I see that this seems to be a constant problem with this model and others have reported invisible paper jams. Some have said to unplug the printer for 10 minutes and this resets it, so try that first if you haven't. While you're doing that I will keep searching.

If that doesn't reset it follow the instructions found by clicking HERE. To get to the maintenance tab (if you have Windows 7) click start, devices and printers, right click on the canon printer and click Printer Properties. If you don't see a maintenance tab in that window, close it, right click again and tap on Printer Preferences.

Nothing we talked about has helped. I was wondering where the sensor is that says there is a paper jamb??

I can't find the schematic, let me release this question and see if someone else had better ideas than I have. Stand by!

Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 2 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

on a printer that small the sensor is built into the mother board. some sort of proximity sensor they dont use the big chunky ones that actually feel the paper anymore. you cant replace them without replacing the mother board on the printer.

you can try a couple of things.

A. look very carefully for anything that might be stuck in there even if its not paper. you can turn it upside down and shake it and see if anything falls out.

B. while the printer is still on. if its usb unplug that. then while still on, unplug it from the wall. wait a half an hour to get rid of any residual electricity. then plug it back into the wall. that should reset the entire printer. if the error still comes up its either got a jam or a bad sensor or corrupted chips.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-iP1800-Inkjet-Printer-1855B002/dp/B000NNCL3I

you can get a used one for about 100 bucks or probably something of the same quality new for not much more. its not worth going crazy trying to fix it.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/photo-inkjet-printers?cm_sp=printer-_-Pixma-Landing-Page-_-rw1-pos3-Single-Function-Printers-Shop-Now

That didn't work either.But I do notice that the error comes up before I even try to print. Does that tell you anything??

yes but its the same thing i said before. something is triggering a sensor or the software in the chips is bad. or there is something in there somewhere that you cant see. Or possibly something is out of line and isnt lining up in the spot it should line up in when the printer is at rest. Are you sure it says paper jam and not carriage jam ? You might check that as well make sure the printhead can move freely and the cartridges are in securely and locked down.

Robert M., Consultant