Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My Brother MFC6490CW just stopped scanning reason, Im still

Customer Question
Hey James My Brother MFC6490CW...
Hey James My Brother MFC6490CW just stopped scanning for some reason, Im still conected wirelessly and can print fine but if I try to scan to file, I chose the computer and then it does nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
I have shut down computer, wifi and MFC and nothing has helped.
8/9/2015
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer

Do you use Windows XP, Vista , 7 or 8 ?

its happening on 2 computer 1 running vista the other running windows 7

There are many reasons, which can cause this problem. I will give you a link below, please try to follow each and every steps on that page and let me know the result. Try this on one computer and if you are able to solve the problem then, try it on the other.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc6490cw_all&faqid=faq00002637_000

Ive already gone through the steps on the brother site, its still printing wirelessly so thats not the problem

OK, thanks for the update, so you have already installed the scanner driver. Can you tell me, what exact error message,you see on the printer screen, when you try to scan ?

there is no error it just does nothing. I click scan, then scan to file, then chose the computer then click start/print then it says connecting to PC and does nothing else. It worked fine last time it was used and has worked for the last 2 years

OK, are you replying me from the XP or 7 pc ?

Im writing on the window 7 which is my computer but its more important to get it fixed on the vista computer

OK, we will try some test of the Windows 7 PC and then we will try to do that same test of Vista. Follow the steps on your Windows 7 PC and let me know.

Before you begin, make sure your scanner is properly installed and turned on.

1. Click the Start button ,click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax and Scan.

2. Click Scan in the bottom of the left pane.

3. On the toolbar, click New Scan.

4. In the New Scan dialog box, click the Profile list, and then click Photo. The default settings for scanning a photo, which you can use or change, are automatically displayed.

5. To see how the photo will appear when scanned, click Preview. If needed, change your scan settings, and then preview the image again.

6. Click Scan.

ok yes I did this last night and it does scan this way from my computer but the same thing doesnt work on the vista computer. I couldnt find a way to scan from his computer

Do you mean you cannot scan from the Vista computer or you cannot open Fax and scan program in Vista ?

Ithe fax scan program is different and doesnt allow you to scan from the computer on the vista computer
i have now found how to scan on the vista computer through the brother software, and that works,
Why wont it do it from the actual MFC scanner??
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer