Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I had my old Canadian Canon PIXMA iP4700 serviced, and am

Customer Question
now having difficulties reinstalling it...
I had my old Canadian Canon PIXMA iP4700 serviced, and am now having difficulties reinstalling it. What is most important to me is the thing that is not working--the direct CD printing function. I accidentally downloaded the US driver (for my operating system, Mac OS X v. 10.6), which does not support direct disc printing. I downloaded from the Canadian Canon site, with no luck. I found and ran the original (Canadian) installation disc, also to no effect (I have verified that the old driver is installed). When I open a Canon "CD-Image Print" file and tell it to print, I am told to select a printer with CD printing capability, and when I select the iP4700 it does not offer that option. I deleted the printer from the fax and print system preferences, then reinstalled the original Canadian driver, also to no effect. I have rebooted several times. I have looked through the FAQ's and the online manual, to no effect. I have a pile of CD's I need to print.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
8/9/2015
Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

There is something you can do to bring this back to a baseline where you should be able to install the driver that you had and have it work properly. To do this you'll have to reset the printing system on your Mac. I can give you the specific steps to do that. If you have other printers however, you will have to reinstall those printers as well. Here are the steps to reset the printing system:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.

Please let me know if you still questions.

It looks like you have US letter-size paper selected as the page source. You must select a CD print compatible paper size there for it to work.
The problem is that the CD print option IS NOT AVAILABLE. I took the printer to the local Canon service center to have the waste ink counter reset to zero, and I strongly suspect that while they were doing that the reset the BIOS incorrectly to the US standard (letter paper, CD disabled) rather than the original Canadian (i.e. letter paper, CD enabled). I know one must get into the service mode and destination mode to fix that, but the online instructions I find don't seem to work.
Sorry, I didn't notice any mention previously that the CD print option IS NOT AVAILABLE. A Canon service center would not to reset the waste encounter without changing the waste ink absorber. It's possible that the company to which you took the printer is not an authorized Canon service center. If this is the case, they may have tried to take some type of shortcut to reset the waste counter.
If you have already followed my instructions to reset the printing system on the Mac, then your only option is to make sure that you have the Canadian version of the software, which you can download at the following page:
http://bitli.es/Y5lkzE
And make sure that you have downloaded the latest CUPS driver.
If you wish to enter service mode, you can follow the steps below. Just be aware that you can render the printer in operable by entering service mode/
With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold
the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the
Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release
both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is
pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.
This be aware that there is no way to turn on or off the CD print option from within service mode. This is controlled by the print driver. You had mentioned that you installed the US version of the driver by mistake, which is why I suggested doing the reset of the printing system. Do you still have access to the company that reset the counter for you?
No, the problem is not in the driver, which is in fact the Canadian version (verified). The waste counter was reset to zero at an authorized Canon service center. I changed the waste ink absorber myself before that, but failed to pay attention to the the counter warning until it was too late. There are multiple reports that the region setting in the BIOS can be reset from the service mode. I have a call in to Canon Canada, but no answer yet. In any event I must start printing tonight, which means junking the Canon and installing an Epson, which means learning new software and changing file formats--a bunch of work. Too bad--the old Canon hardware and software were good; I had hoped to continue using them. The old software works with the new hardware, but that is far too slow for my purposes (although the discs look very nice). I also have quite a bit of ink for the old printer.

Have you used the laser scribe the system? Or is that what you are referring to? That does print excellent discs but it is incredibly slow as you said.

I have even checked through the service manual and I honestly do not believe that this option is something that you can set in service mode. I was fairly certain that it was impossible, but I'm not always right of course so I went to the service manual and there is no mention of it in their whatsoever. And the service manual is for both US and Canadian and European models. I will go through it one more time very thoroughly, but according to Canon, that functionality is in the driver specifically.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician