Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My computer wont comminicate with my dell v715w printer

Customer Question
my computer wont comminicate with...
my computer wont comminicate with my dell v715w
printer
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
8/1/2015
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Before I suggest anything I need to ask you some questions so I can understand the situation better.

Was this printer ever working with the same exact computer before? Also,

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.

Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.

If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

I've had this printer for maybe 4 years and yes it has worked with this printer. I've also tried to just copy something and the paper comes out blank.
my pc is an Inspirion One by Dell
windows 7
it has a usb cable connecting the printer to the pc, but it's also wireless. Our upstairs laptop just started saying "Cannot communicate with Printer" with the upstairs printer as well!

Thank you for that extra info.

I just read your second reply and it looks like you have more then once computer in the home.

Is it only the upstairs laptop that cannot print to the dell printer?

no, both computers are saying this.

Lets try this from the computer that is physically the closest to the Dell printer.

First , click start, then click devices and printers. And now right click and remove / delete all copies of your dell printer.

Once removed, next. Connect the usb cord from the printer to the computer and make sure the dell printer is turned on.

After that, try to open the wireless utility as follows.

1. Click the Windows Start button.
  2. Click All Programs.
  3. Click Dell Printers.
  4. Click Dell Printer Home.
  5. Click the Settings tab.
  6. Click Wireless setup utility.
  7. The User Account Control window may appear, if so click Continue.
  8. On the Add a printer to your wireless network screen, click Continue.
  9. The printer looks for nearby wireless networks and displays them.
  10. Click on your home network, then enter the correct wireless password.

Once that is done, you should then be able to go back to the start, devices and printers screen. Then click add a printer, then click add a network printer. It should scan the network and it should show your dell on the list. Click it, then click next and it should install t he printer.

Once installed this way, can you print again?

If you get stuck at any point during these steps, you are welcome to respond. Also, if these steps once completed, do not fix the issue. Then I will continue working with you as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist