Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My new XP-420 is printing very slow, 10 minutes print and

Customer Question

My new XP-420 is printing very slow, 10 minutes for 1 print and using lots of ink, how can I increase the printing speed and reduce ink consumption?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my printer is connected to an imac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suggest that you try altering two things in the Settings for your printer, on your iMac computer.

First, locate any printer setting for 'high quality' or high quality printing, and set it to Draft, or even Normal, quality.

Second, locate a printer setting for 'print directly to printer' and enable it. This disables buffering of the print job, and makes printing quicker in many cases.

Or, it may perhaps be a setting called 'buffer printing' or 'send print job to buffer'. That would need to be disabled, if that is what the setting is called.

Let me know how it goes, and what you find, and what happens, please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not finding anything for high quality, draft or normal, print directly to printer or buffer printing.

I was afraid of that. But I have to ask: Are you looking in the printer settings that come up when you prepare to send a print job but have not yet sent it?

And, What MAC OS X version is on your computer?

And, Did you install the printer's driver before connecting the printer ? or did you simply connect the printer to the computer and start using it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking and searching on the mac not when trying to print
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Not sure about the printer driver, I believe it was installed before connecting

OK. Thanks for the information.

On MAC OS X 10.6.8, you would access the printer's driver settings, among which might be the ones that you need to change that I have already mentioned, as follows:

- First, look in the control panel called 'Print & Fax' preferences.

- Second, you can click on 'Print' or press Ctrl-P (I think... I'm not quite sure that works on your version of MAC OS X...), and you ought to see a window like this one:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00100070_000/us_ot/en/1002601/04.gif

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in system preferences - hardware - print & fax, It is set to EPSON XP-420 series and driver, skip blank pages OFF, quiet mode OFF, print temporary black printing OFF, high speed printing OFF, warning notifications ON, established bidirectional communication ON
Second, command P on the mac just allows print - no window appears

OK. Try setting high speed printing to On.

See if that helps.

If it doesn't, then disable or dis-enable the bidirectional communication, and see if that makes the difference.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tthat's better but still too slow. Thank you for your help. I think I may return the printer. Also what do I have to do to cancel my account with just answer?
OK. I'm glad my advice was of some use.
As for anything to do with your account, subscription status or terms, billing, etc.: I have no power over such things, as a JustAnswer.com Expert, and must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
Please rate my Answer, if you need no further help with this case, so that this case may be closed. Or, indicate in Reply, what rating you would like to have applied. Thanks, ***** ***** luck with the new printer.