Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson WF-3520 printer that is not color printing

Customer Question

I have an Epson WF-3520 printer that is not color printing correctly. It prints the magenta in streaks. I put new color cartridges in yesterday and it didn't improve any. In reading the info on line I see that I should have been turning the printer off when not using it, which I had not been doing. There were no comments on the original instructions that mentioned that. What do you suggest?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the potentially bad news,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nathan or Whoever,
I know it's been a month since we last communicated. I've been away and otherwise tied up. I had a friend come in and cleaned the print heads for me as I didn't know how to do that.
I'm not sure what I signed up for--if it was just one month and that month is up, then thank you and good-bye. If I'm under contract till I cancel and I'm into a new month, I have another question. Joy
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Joy,I'm not able to see any subscription or membership/billing issues from my end, as I'm an independent tech. If my prior answer helped you, please remember to complete the rating step (stars), as that is the only way the site credits me for my time (and I'm otherwise left working for free to help you). You may check the status of your account by clicking on the MyAccount link at the top of the page, then on the middle left you'll see subscription/membership to view/change as needed. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC(Note: Even if on a monthly plan, each question is considered an individual topic and must be posted as a new question, which you may reach me for through the above link).Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan