Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

Im trying to fix the problem with the MP620 cannon, error message

Customer Question

Im trying to fix the problem with the MP620 cannon, error message 5C20. Its making a horrific grinding/cliccking noise, and I cant get the cartridge to leave the locked position on the left. Thanks!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, Im not able to get to the printer menu to clean it as I was instructed before. Can I do this manually? Thanks!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Yes that is actually what I meant, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That cleared the original message, but its still grinding and now saying Message 5C00. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
5C00 is a different unrelated error, the first one was to do with the carriage this one is to do with the waste ink pads. Hopefully you will not need to replace them. Inside the machine under where the carriage is use a cloth and try to dab out as much ink as you can. Then repeat the reset method with the 70 seconds I gave you before, let me know if anything changes.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did the cleaning and reset and im still getting that message. 5C00. ???

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The error still means what I mentioned before and could mean you need a new part. Inside the machine beneath the carriage there should be 1 or 2 sponge like pads covered in ink. I suggest wearing gloves but can you feel them? You most likely will not be able to see them.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see them. theres a bit of ink on them, but a lot of ink surrounding that area and on two rubber pieces as well... do i need to clean this out??

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Before anything make sure they are spongy if they are hard like a brick of dried ink they need to be replaced. If they are spongy remove them make sure to have something to put them on since they are covered in ink. They are not attached to anything so should come right out.

Then run them under warm water not using anything else, no soap etc. Do this until no more ink comes off of them. Put them to the side and clean out the inside of the machine where they were as best you can. Once you have put them back into the machine and do this:

Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the carriage by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the carriage in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The carriage seems to be moving fine. The pads are hard as rocks, I assume i need to replace them? Im still getting 5C20 message. thanks again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If they are hard then yes they need to be replaced and the error will not go away until they are. Any local computer or electronics shop should either carry them or be able to order them for you.
.