Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I own a Brother mfc-j475dw printer and use the lc103 cartridge.

Customer Question
I want to use an...
I own a Brother mfc-j475dw printer and use the lc103 cartridge. I want to use an after market supplier (LD Ink Cartridge) instead of brother's and I have a "cannot not detect" message. Is there a fix?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
6/30/2015
Technician: VanMagnus Systems, Engineer replied 3 years ago
VanMagnus Systems
Hello and how are you? I am glad that you remember me.
How may I best assist you today??
Who makes the Cart's that you are using Sir or Madame?
LD Products Inc.
What is the status of my question - am I holding you up?
No, just doing some research Sir or Madame...
The LC-103's?
OK - thanks! The name is George
Ok, Sir...The Cart's have a chip on them that allows for continuous Operations and refills with out a hitch..Is this the first time that you needed to refill?
I am not refilling a cart. I am replacing the Brother LC101 with a LD Products LC103 (103 is has more ink) LD also sells a LC101 and yes this is the first time I am replacing the cartridge.
Ok, the ink is also from them?
Yes it is
Ok.Please let us try to restart the Printer Sir..
OK - any particular steps you want me to follow?
Oh, just restart it or power it down and then restart it..
Then try to print again...
Sorry, I had a sudden interruption and just got back on. I did turn the printer off and then printed one page of a document and as has been the case after printing the one page I get the message "CANNOT DETECT".
Cannot Detect the Cart's??
Correct - I replaced one cartridge and this is the one it is not detecting!
What color is it??
BLACK - IT FITS IN THE 4TH SLOT
Ok. This is the only one not working, correct?
Well so far, the other 3 still have ink in them and this is the first one that I have changed; however, I can change one of the other colors out and see what happens. I have magenta, blue, and yellow in the numbers 1, 2, & 3 slots. Do you have a preference as to which one you would like for me to change?
Ok. So the others are working?? If so place the old Black in please...
Done and now I get the message that there is not enough ink left in the cart. to read.
OK... Now place the newer Black in...
done
Ok... Any errors???
no
just printed a doc and as soon as finished I got the same error "CANNOT DETECT"
OK... These are new cart's??
Yes, I took the OLD black cart out and put the new one back in.
If so, then you need to get the company to replace the "Black" cart..
Forgot to tell you that I have already gone through that step. Doubt that I would get two bad cart. The one I am using I just tot today. Looks like we are at a dead end. How do I go about cancelling my subscription?
This is only happening with the Black one correct?
Sir, not at a dead end. Since I know that the company will send you replacements free of charge...
As I said earlier I have not replaced any of the other colors and I offered to change one of them out - look back 4 or 5 messages. I can still do that if you think we can learn anything. I asked you if you had a preference as to which color to change or I can just select one. Maybe the one next to the black (Yellow).
Yes since this is happening with the Black cart..
OK will change out the yellow one and get back to you
Also, they will offer you a RMA number to return the cart or cart's...
OK changed the yellow cart and printed a doc - after printing got the error message "CANNOT DETECT" and the indicator that both the yellow and black carts are not detected. It looks like there is no work around or fix I will probably go ahead and return everything to LD Products. Brother has somehow put something in their products that prevent an after market cart to be used.Returning the carts really doesn't solve my issue.
Sir, my comments were for you to get replacement car's. That means that the chips in those cart's are defective.
Also, you can insist that they replace all cart's and make sure that the replacements work...
Please note: At times since a product you purchased is new. Some times it just needs to be replaced. Like some users buy a Printer from Best Buy that was defective as soon as the brought it home...