Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a WorkForce WF-3640 printer. I'm finding it impossible

Customer Question

I have a WorkForce WF-3640 printer. I'm finding it impossible to print photos. I'm using Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper. I insert it as directed in the back slot. I get the message that the printer is preparing to print from that slot. The directions tell me to push the "color" button and wait for the paper to begin to load. I do that, and the paper begins to load. I get a message to send a printing job. I do that. The printer displays a message saying that it is ready, and gives me the option of ejecting the paper (if it is not loaded correctly), or pressing "OK". I press "OK." Nothing happens. I have tried re-loading the paper, turning off the printer and then turning it on again, etc. The same thing happens every time. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I must leave the house in 1/2 hour. If the response comes after 8:30 AM (EDT) I will not see it until late afternoon.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think this problem can be solved. But please tell me some more information about the case, first:- is the printer connected by a network connection, wired or wireless? or is it directly connected to the computer?-What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?- Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found inStart - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS - I am loading only one page at a time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Printer is connected by wire through USB port. The computer is an Apple. It uses OS X version 10.9.5
Is the printer new? Has it worked, printing photos, before this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The printer is about 1 year old, I think. I have never tried printing on photo paper, but it prints photos on regular paper in the cassette. It also prints on regular paper from the back slot. The problem seems to be that it will not accept the photo paper,
What software are you sending the print jobs for photo printing, from? Or to put it another way, When you send a print job to print a photo, where are you sending it from, on the computer? what program? Try one thing, just on the off change: When you are prompted to either eject the paper or press OK, don't do either one. Just leave the printer alone at that point, and check, by eye, whether the paper is entering the printer with the broader side first, or the narrower side first (-this last, as you normally load paper for common text printing.) Whichever way the paper is entering the printer, if nothing happens after 5 minutes, then remove the photo paper, and put it in the printer again, with the orientation changed to the other way - the broad side first if you were previously trying it narrow side first, and vice-versa if the other way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'm trying this. Letting the printer stand without choosing either "eject paper" or "OK." I'm printing from my desktop, from"Preview." I select settings for Epson printer and this type of paper.
"From the desktop, from 'Preview' " does not quite tell me enough. After waiting 5 minutes, please reload the paper, oriented the other way, as I have already said.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer has ejected the paper. I must leave at 8:30 to catch a ferry. Will have to continue later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I inserted the paper (4 X 6") the normal way. The slot will not accept it in the other orientation: it slides down, does not load, and is hard to get out again.
I'm sorry to hear that my first idea as to the problem has failed.Have you followed instructions in your manual as to the loading of the paper?I still have no idea what you are printing from, or what procedure you are using to print.Did you load the software from the software disc that came with the printer? This case can continue later. That's fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your replies. I think there must be something wrong with the back paper loader. Nothing seems to work. In any case, I have given up on trying with the photo paper.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS -- I tried to reply earlier, but the links in your messages did not work. I got an "access denied" message.
Well, the last thing to determine the case is, Is the printer a little less than a year from its original purchase date?
- if 'yes', then good news - the failure to take photo paper is covered by warranty.
- if 'no'... well, you seem content to just not print photos. A shame to have a photo printer that cannot do so.
I still would like to suggest, finally, that you try printing from something other than what you have been trying to print from. If you have Windows, try loading a photo into the included Paint program, then try printing the photo from that. It might, doubtfully, make a favorable difference.