John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I purchased a new PIXMZ MG7520 wife's office. We installe

Customer Question

I purchased a new PIXMZ MG7520 for my wife's office. We installed the printer as LAN operation. The printer as well as the copy functions work as expected, but the scan feature, using the Image Capture app will produce a document with a slight gray tint (using much ink and time. When I ask for printing , the thumbnail does show the slight gray tint with a ¼ in white margin around the doc. The printing will give the same result. What is wrong? I have a Canon MG6120 in my office and it functions perfectly as a scanner. Both printers are on the same wireless network. Whats wrong? Please help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If scanning is genuinely turning out differently from photocopying, then it is not a hardware problem in the new printer, I would presume.
But please settle that, by scanning a document to your computer, then photocopying the same document (on a 'normal' density or 'darkness' setting, so as not to produce an 'unfair advantage'. Just a B&W document would do, the photocopy and scan do not have to be in color in order to test the hardware adequately.
Take the photocopy in hand, and compare it to the scanned equivalent, on the computer screen. Is there a difference?
Also, what scanning software are you using? there may be a better choice, if the problem truly is not a hardware problem with the scanner part of your new PIXMA device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Russell, I have had one heck of a time getting to you, but that's past. I have scanned a number of docs on the new MG7520 and they all turn out with a gray tinted printout with the pure white margin all around. I was using the "Image Capture" app on my iMac and my wife's MacPro. I scanned several items with the "print & scan" app in the system Preferences. The results are always the same. I use the Image Capture app on my iMac and a MG6120 Canon printer. No problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The print and copy features of the MG7520 printer work just fine. It's only the scan function I'm having trouble with.
OK, thanks for letting me know the details, I appreciate that. One further question: What MAC OS X is on the iMac of yours, and on your wife's MacPro ? I mean, the 10.x version number, or the common name for it (e.g. Mavericks, Mountain Lion, etc.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both computers have OSX version 10.8.5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that they both have mountain lion.. I've updated over the years.
OK. Try using the IJ Scan Utility, after doing the settings properly. It is the scan utility provided for free by Canon for use with MAC OS X computers and with this model of printer. To install it, go to this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mg7520#DriversAndSoftware and selectMAC OS X 10.8 Mountain Lionas the Operating System, then click once on 'Software', and click onIJ Scan Utilityand download it, then install it. Try it. It is software meant for this device, designed by the manufacturer, and will probably give better results. Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Russell, I'm sorry to be so slow, but just how do I get to the ij Scan Utility? When I type ijScan Utility in Google search I get many entries to look at. Please advise.
Please - follow my directions. (If you are viewing my posts on a handheld, it may be hard to see it all, I realize.) First, go to the link I put in my response. That link should open automatically when clicked On. On that page, you find a control to select the Operating System ... and so forth. If it's hard to find all that, go to the full posting on the page devoted to your question, on the computer you are going to be scanning from: http://www.justanswer.com/printers/95uyc-purchased-new-pixmz-mg7520-wife-s-office-installe.html Let me know if any problems are encountered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Russell, thanks for the wait, but I finally got thru with the link you gave me and downloaded the full driver & software package. I'm now at the setup page that shows the software installation list. The MP Drivers andn the Canon ij Network tool are checked. Do I want to check any of the other items such as : ij Scan Utility2, Users Manual, My Image garden, and Quick menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would think that we are near the end of the session, but I wanted to check on the Last few details to wind up the session and get to a satisfactory end point. Is there a connection you could give me for followup in case your and my responsibilities take me away and/or I need more help? I do have some commitments this afternoon as you must, so I would like to get in touch with you for further assistance if necessary rather than have to pick up with someone else.
Check the IJ Scan Utility 2, and you might need the Users Manual too.
Get in touch with me again, through this same question. It won't expire today, nor tomorrow. Let's just get on to a solution at your convenience. Thanks... and let me know what happens, eventually.