Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a canon mx860 and the pgbk is not printing. I have…

Customer Question
I have a canon mx860...

I have a canon mx860 and the pgbk is not printing. I have cleaned and replaced the printer heads, I have cleaned the waste ink pads, I have reset the printer, I have also downloaded and installed new software and yet still nothing. Please help. I run off MAC Yosemite.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
6/23/2015
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
When you say you replaced the printhead.. Did you replace it with a new printhead such as this one?
http://amzn.to/1SEQrkp ( theres a picture of the printhead on screen)
Or do you mean you just cleaned it by hand, and then reinserted the same printhead into the machine? ( im not saying we have to replace it, yet. I just want to understand the exact state of the machine)
Thank you,
Dustin S.
I cleaned the old one and when that still didn't work I bought a new one and although the small black ink now prints the large pgbk still doesn't.
My apologies for the delay.. I was looking t o see if there had been a firmware released for the printer that might help fix the printhead issue. Question.. If you disconnect the printer from your mac. Put a document on the scanner and press copy on the printer itself. Will it print normally, or does the PGBK still not work.. ( also, Im assuming you have been initiating the nozzle test checks from your mac, is that correct? )

Sorry it took so long to respond.

Nothing printed when I went to copy something on the printer itself. I tried a few variations too but all just trying the black ink.

I have initiated nozzle checks but not from the mac. I did one test print from the mac and yet neither the one from the mac or the nozzle check on the printer printed pgbk.

This has to be a pump or tube issue. There are suction tubes that go from the purge unit , to the printhead. the tube relating to the PGBK must be loose. Ive been having trouble finding a service manual showing where the tubes are. So Ill try to suggest how to get there as best I can. First, view this page but dont buy any of the items here. None of the purge units are the one for your model. http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Canon+purge+unit+for+Canon+mx850+part+QM3+3991+000 Visually get a reference for what we are looking for. The purge unit is going to be below your printhead, so your going to have to remove the printhead to get to it. Now, what your looking for is some tubing. the tubing that relates to the pgbk black is either clogged, or loose. ( thats why your not getting any pgbk black on a brand new printhead, and truth be told dont throw away your old printhead either.. Its probably still useable) Good luck with the project. If you run into any issues youre welcome to reply. And I will continue looking for a service manaual with a parts diagram. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist