Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We have a SCX-3405W that just started leaving black streaks…

Customer Question
We have a SCX-3405W that...
We have a SCX-3405W that just started leaving black streaks all across and down the page in a zig zag pattern. The cartridge is low but not empty. The lines are the same size as the print but zig zag. What are these and how do I eliminate?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
6/9/2015
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That sort of streaking is rare. (I'd like to see a sample of it, to add to my experience - or, if it's not at all what I think, to see what the exact pattern is.)
In general, and without further knowledge, I would suspect that you need to try swapping out the cartridge first of all.
(This means specifically 'swapping' and not necessarily 'replacing'. Keep the packaging from the new cartridge, and put the old cartridge, carefully, into it. If the new cartridge changes nothing about the problem, you may want to re-use the old cartridge later.)
If the problem is everywhere on the page, and *if* it is not the cartridge that is the problem, then this repair could get expensive.
But, if the pattern on the page is sharp-edged everywhere, as opposed to blurry-edged or smeary anywhere, then you might just need to reset the printer, by turning it Off, pulling out the power plug, and leaving the printer that way for 1 hour or so. What I am thinking is, if the pattern is not from the print engine but from a print engine controller circuit board, then this reset might address the problem. - But, this only applies to very sharply defined patterns upon the page. Blurry-edged ones are caused by the print engine, not the logic circuits.
Let me know what you think, and what you observe when you try my advice. Also, if you can, please post a scan of one of the affected pages... it might help me diagnose the problem more surely and accurately.