Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a MX-320, all of a sudden, anything I scan has a

Customer Question
Hi, I have a MX-320...
Hi, I have a MX-320, all of a sudden, anything I scan has a vertical black line along one side of the document, it's about 3/4" wide.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
6/9/2015
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 3 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. If you make a copy rather than scanning to the computer are the lines there?
.
yes
.
Ok what if you print something from the computer?
.
there is no line
.
Have you tried cleaning the scanner glass yet?
.
yes, with a soft tissue, the glass is clean, the line is very well defined, it doesn't fade along any of the edges.
.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
ok
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Engineer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen both from the glass as well as from the auto feeder, or only from the adf?
Both
Okay if it happens with both, and the glass is clean (look carefully under the glass for any dust/lint in there), then it leaves only the possibility of hardware failure. This means that there are a few dead pixels on the image head (ccd), so it isn't properly capturing an image and just returns a blank/black portion there OR there is a fault on the logic board board that controls the scan/print functions. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. There is one step you can take to fully reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release If the problem still persists, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware fault, which is something that would require repairs to correct. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scan head assembly, which costs about $185; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the bad news,Nathan
Thank-you
You're welcome.If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC.If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Nathan, Engineer