Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a cannon printer MX479. It has worked fine until yesterday,

Customer Question

I have a cannon printer MX479. It has worked fine until yesterday, I cannot print from my computer. It is connected but for some reason in the window it says copy 1. When I try to print it pulls the paper through and sounds like it's printing but it just pulls the paper through and nothing is on it. I have checked ink levels, did all the cleaning but nothing seems to help.
Thank you
Fran
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all, does that come out blank as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it comes out fine

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What version of windows or mac is on the computer? Can you test other programs from the computer please? For example if you were printing an emailtry a picture not on the internet, something stored on your computer.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will print from my doc. folder which are things I have saved from the web.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok then it is a specific program it is not printing from. What version of windows or mac are you using? What program is it not printing from?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have windows 8

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What program is it not printing from?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

g mail

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please print this page, that will tell us if the problem is specific to gmail or your web browser.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it didn't print it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok what internet browser are you using?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chrome

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Try going to print click on the more settings option. Change anything to anything else, then change it back and try printing. If the same thing happens, Click the 3 lines icon in the top right and it should show an incognito option. Choose that and in the window that opens try printing something. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried that but nothing prints out. Should I try a different browser?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It sounds like you may have gotten a bug that Google is aware of and working on but has not fixed yet. It has been an issue since they released Chromium. Open something you want to print and click on print but do not send the job. You should see an option that says "use system dialog" or something similar to that. Click that and send the print that way. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That didn't work either

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that actually rules out the chrome bug then, please test another browser.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know how to use a different browser and keep you site open

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
On the top right corner use the _ symbol to minimize this window. As long as you do not use the red X the page will stay open. When you have the results on the task bar at the bottom of your screen click on the chrome icon and it should open back to this page.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still can't get it to print

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Another browser did the same thing? If you click on print under destination there should be a change button. Click on that and change it to anything else. Then click ok. Click change again and change it to your Canon, click on ok and now send the print. What happens?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that didn't work either

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What happened when you tried it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like it is going to print but just shoots the paper out, just like all the other times

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is odd as you said copies and other programs are both printing fine.
And a different browser is doing this too which leaves that out as a possibility.
Try this and see if it helps:

Open the control panel and then click on hardware and sound.
Then click on devices and printers.

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.

Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I try that and get back to you, if it works I'll just leave you a rating.

Thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok take your time.
.