Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I can not fax from my Canon MX922. I have set ECM to No and…

Customer Question
I can not fax from...
I can not fax from my Canon MX922. I have set ECM to No and reduced TX start speed to 4800 with no success. I can complete the call to another phone. When I dial a fax number I can hear the beginning of the singing, but it stops abruptly and then get error message of either NG or Line Busy.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
6/5/2015
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 3 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.I need to ask whether your phone line service is 'landline' or 'analog' or POTS service, or whether it might be one of the 'digital' phone line services, such as Vonage, VoIP, UVerse, and so forth ? My advice must depend on that information, and also on whether this problem is new to a prevalently working MX922, or whether the MX922 is new to this phone line and has not worked with it before... let me know, and I will advise you as to what is wrong and what to do.
Thanks - the phone line service is MagicJack. It is dedicated to my MX922. I have used this phone line for over 2 years with my previous Canon 892 and it worked fine. If memory serves it worked both with ECM TX On and Off. I have been successful using this MX922 to transmit faxes.
Do you use the MagicJack phone line to do any voice phone calling? And, how many months or years have you been a MagicJack subscriber?
I do not use Magic Jack for voice phone calling. It is a dedicated line connected to the MX922 only. I have been a MagicJack subscriber for over two years, maybe three. I just checked and my subscription is subject to renewal at the end of this coming August.
OK, it has been working for some time, and it is not yet due for renewal. Do you have a voice phone you can try the line on? that would be a good test, you can tell more by ear, when you make a voice phone call and listen (to a voice at the other end, or even a v.m. message).
Yes, I think I can find a phone to connect directly to the MagicJack. I'll give it a try and check back with you after that.
OK. Let me know, when you have results, at your convenience.
OK I have connected a voice phone. It is an old phone that I keep around for troubleshooting purposes. I placed calls to a cell phone and a landline. There is no static or noise of any kind except for the voice. The conversation is normal. there maybe the slightest bit of clipping at the beginning and end of a string of words. What else should I be looking for?
The clipping might be significant.Check whether your internet connection is running at full speed, with some speed test in a browser (if you have a computer) such as SpeedTest.netand let me know the results, please.
Hi Russell - Did you see my last post. What else should I be looking for?
Did you try SpeedTest.net to test your internet performance with?
I did not see any post from you relating to that, so I have to ask.
I'm sorry for the delay. When I checked SpeedTest.net I found I had opened a can of worms. My first test was 6.57 Mbps Download, 10.44 Upload. I'm paying for TWC's 300 Mbps. So I called and they refreshed the modem and my download speed rose to 100Mbps. I check further and was told by TWC support yesterday that I was paying for the 300 Mbps speed but TWC had throttled my SB6141 to100Mbps. Today I was told my subscription was for 50 Mbps download speed. I'm sorry I digress.
I will have to wait until tomorrow to check my ability to fax after this refresh and will get in touch with you as soon as I have done so.
Well, yes, that's unfortunate.
But it clearly and indubitably explains the problem with MagicJack: you cannot do fax transmission at (for instance) 14.4 kbps with accuracy enough to get data through and not break up the fax-to-fax connection, unless you have really good steady internet at a somewhat higher rate of speed than 1 Mbps.
I advise you that the best way to 'get through' on your fax using MagicJack is
1: to change the fax setting to as low a transmit speed as you can. (If there is a lower-speed setting available in your fax device.) And to disable the setting on your fax for ECC Mode.
2: do not use the internet during faxing. Close all web browser windows on all computers connected to your internet, 60 seconds or more before starting faxing. And don't stream video on any devices, computer or handheld, while faxing. Avoid texting during faxing also... if the texting is done through your internet, as opposed to through 3G or other wireless.
That may help. Faxing through MagicJack and other internet or digital phone line services, is of course somewhat inherently uncertan. Faxing was made for the old-fashioned 'analog' sort of phone service, somewhat inherently. When faxes were made and designed and then refined in design and standardized, digital phone service was very much unanticipated.