Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am getting Error code 3527, carriage jam, on my Kodak esp…

Customer Question
I am getting Error code...
I am getting Error code 3527, carriage jam, on my Kodak esp 3250 printer, and none of the troubleshooting suggestions are doing anything.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
6/4/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Engineer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. There are a few possible causes of this issue, including an actual carriage jam (bad motor/gear/belt, bent rail, etc) , internal obstruction or debris, a loose/dirty encoder strip, or a bad carriage pcb or bad logic board. What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.First open up the printer and try to pull the carriage over manually. If you cannot, there is a good chance it is either hung up on wiper/absorber system, or there is a paper jam or other debris blocking it. Try blowing around it with compressed air, or slipping a piece of heavy card stock or even a thin metal ruler underneath then sliding it over.Once you get to the point that it moves freely, you can check the other side for any debris and clean it out well. Wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip that runs the width of the printer behind the head, until a cloth comes away clean (no ink, grease, etc). Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Hi, Nathan. I did manage to pull the carriage over, but the only plastic strip I saw that seems to be the width of the printer could not be reached to clean or even to touch. I tried to clean the area to the left of the ink cartridges but could not see any debris. I reset the machine and I still have the error code and the carriage will not move when I open the lid. Any other suggestions I might try?
You can try bending a qtip to better access the encoder strip to clean. It is very rare that this is the problem though, typically when it is an encoder issue it will instead move around somewhat or just constantly go back and forth, or slam into the side.One other thing you can do is to remove the cartridges and lift out the printhead, wipe down the contacts on back, then reseat head and cartridges. Reboot once more as before. If that still doesn't help, it would confirm a hardware fault, and at that point it's time for a new printer. This is a 2009 model and was built for only a 3 year service life. These Kodaks are widely regarded as some of the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that Kodak nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the carriage assembly/printhead, which costs about $60, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.Best regards,Nathan
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,