Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I CAN'T GET MY NEW BLACK INK CARTRIGE TO GO BACK IN THE MACHINE.

Customer Question
i HAVE DONE THIS A...
I CAN'T GET MY NEW BLACK INK CARTRIGE TO GO BACK IN THE MACHINE. i HAVE DONE THIS A LOT OF TIMES WITN NO PROBLEMS. aNY IDEA WHAT causing problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
5/25/2015
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
I know you said you have done this a lot of times. Can you verify you completely removed the protective tape, as shown at the 40 seconds mark in this video.
http://www8.hp.com/h20621/video-gallery/us/en/customer-care/printers-and-all-in-ones/replace-ink-and-toner/1245169404001/hp-officejet-j4600-replace-cartridge/video/
If so.
Can you try removing both ink cartridges, both the tri color and black.
And then try inserting the black first. Will it insert and click?
If not, remove both ink tanks.. And look inside the black area. Is there anything stuck. ( when you watch the video, you will notice that the ink catridge holder moves slightly up and down when an ink tank is inserted)
Theres a spring catch in there, that helps the cartridge "snap" into place.
It could be that a buildup of ink residue has built up. And its not letting the spring loaded catch snap into place.
So try working the pieces gently by hand, up and down, in and out. Till it feels like everything is moving freely.
Then try inserting again.
If at this point it wont insert and snap into place. But the tri color will.
Its possible that there is some physical manufacturing defect on the black ink tank you have. ( try and old black ink tank if you have one )
If an old tank will snap into place, but he new one will not. Then you need to return or replace that new ink tank. It may simply not have the precise machined dimensions it needs to snap into place. ( manufacturing defects do occur , about 30-50 out of a thousand tanks will fail fresh out of the package. )
I hope if youve read through these suggestions and been methodical with your test messages, that its helped reveal or solve the issue.
If you have further questions, let me know.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
I went thhough the Video and that didn't help. I went through the many other steps. Both black tanks look identical and neither one will go in. Then I took out the color tank and tried to put the black in, It would not go in. Then when I was getting ready to write back the support for the tanks moved to the left side of the printer. Now the color tank will not go back in. I t must be timed. It looks like I need to turn the printer off?
If you want, you can call my cell phone at(###) ###-#### ***** computer speekers don't work.
That sometimes needs to be done.
Id try , leaving the printer open.
Then, turning it off. Unplugging it from power.. Turning it back on.
It should then ask you to insert the ink tanks.
Do so, and see if it will accept them.
If not, please send a reply and we can try and reset the printer next.
D.S
I turned it off and unplugged it. When I turned it on, it asked me to shut the door, but first I tried installing tanks. Then I closed the door and reopened it. It said tanks missing, but did not say to install them. I tried one more time to install them, did not work
I have been sick for the last 5 days, We got blood tests run and I wanted to print them. I feel really bad and want to quit. Can we start this back up later this week when I feel better?
*edit** my apologies for the delay.. it took some time to locate the correct reset sequence, as I have written below. If you want to continue anytime this week, just send a message during normal business hours. I hope you get to feeling better.**
We may have to try a reset..
First, turn the printer on. Then, with it on, unplug the power cord. ( dont turn it off first, just unplug it )
Then, hold down the # ***** 6 keys. Now, while holding those keys, plug the printer on. ( you may need a third hand, or help~)
That should send the printer through a reset process.
Once complete , you may have to set your language and preferences again. But hopefully, it should allow you to insert the tanks just like you did when you first received the printer.
Dustin S.
I am very sorry to report that I did exactly what you said in the correct order and when it finished reseting, I tried the ink tanks they were still not able to be installed.... very frustrated. I had access door closed, Should I try again with it open?
I tried doing the same sequence with the door open with the same no go with the ink tanks. Please let me know when you read this if you have any additional ideas. Since you are not on-ine now, I will also check with some other resources.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Yesterday was a much needed and very busy day off. Lets try the same reset again, but this time with the # ***** 9 key instead. If that doesnt allow the ink tanks to insert. Can you verify if you are pressing the button to change ink t anks before trying to insert them? If you are, then there may be an issue with the spring catch that snaps into place when the cartridges are inserted.
I tried what you suggested and got a message "Full NUM Reset". So it appears that worked. However that did not work to get the tanks to go in place. I have never had to press a button to change ink tanks before. Where would this button be located?
Im sorry, I had my models confused.. This one doesnt require to hit the ink change button ( which it doesnt have ) but some other officejet models do have.
Ok, with everything thats been tried, this has to be a hardware issue.
Specifically , with the carriage, or the spring loaded catch on the bottom of the ink catridge holder that pushes down when you remove a catridge..
And when you insert it, its supposed to snap up and into place.
It may need to be replaced.. You can order the carriage here, remanufactured.
http://www.partshere.com/online/detail.asp?partno=CB783A-Carriage_Only
The includes the ink cartridge latches .. Which I suspect are the issue.
Before ordering them, I would try manually moving the ink catridge latches ( they are just underneath the cartridge and slide up and into place when the cartridge is inserted )
Try moving them by hand all the way down, and all the way up.
See if it feels like they are moving freely.. If it doesnt feel like the movement is broken, or stopped. Try inserting a cartridge and then pushing the latches up into place using a finger ( with the cartridge fully inserted )
if you can get it to lock, you should be good. ( though you will probably have to manually snap the latch into place everytime you change a catridge if the spring levers have failed )
Hopefully, that helps. If you get stuck or have any further questions. Please let me know.
Dustin S.
What you say sounds logical except, if I had not removed the color csrtridge following your instructions, It would still be working. I will try some of what you are describing. I believe it is something minor with the springs, However if I can't get it to work, I will not buy parts like that for this old of a machine.
Understood.. Hopefully, manually trying to press the latch up to " catch" the cartridge as you push it in will help it to lock.
D.S