Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have tried a few things to get the black working

Customer Question
Hello, I have tried a few...
I have tried a few things to get the black working but no luck. Can you go through a checklist with me?
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
5/22/2015
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What model is this?
.

HP Photosmart 5511 B111a

.
What did you already try? How old is it?
.

It is 3 years old I think. I have tried running the cleaning system and manually cleaning it myself. It was very dirty underneath but now the tissue is coming up clean

.
When you cleaned manually how did you clean it? Do you happen to have an extended warranty?
.

No warranty. I looked up on you tube and this person placed a damp tissue underneath the cartridge holder and slided it along

.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.

I have already done all this. They are new cartridges so clean. Heads all cleaned up and underneath as stated. Machine turned on and off and machine cleaned as well as manual

.
When I asked you how you did it you did not say anything like what I just sent you. You only mentioned underneath. New cartridges also don't make a difference. Once it sits in the machine, if the machine needs to be cleaned so do the cartridges. I am going to opt out and open this to all experts.
.

OK thanks

I am still awaiting a reply from your expert

Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
The previous technician has opted out.
Lets use a tap 41 test to diagnose the health of your printhead.
PRINTHEAD Health Diagnostics:
1. Using two fingers, gently tap the ‘Return’ and ‘Home’ keys on touchscreen until the Engineering
Menu is displayed (for example, press the button 3-4 times each in alternating succession).
Using arrow keys navigate to Service Menu.
……..or if a keypad is available: Press * and # ***** simultaneously. Service Menu should be
displayed.
2. Use arrow keys to advance to the Special Reports Menu. Select OK.
3. Use arrow keys to advance to the ‘print mech button tap’ menu. Select Ok.
4. ‘Code = 0’ will be displayed. Use arrows keys to change value to ‘41’ (i.e. press and hold right arrow key).
5. When ‘code = 41’, select ‘OK’. The diagnostic test pattern will print.
NOTE: The Tap 10 self-test print may also be initiated via ‘code = 10’ (use to verify all nozzles are firing)
6. Check the 4th line at the top of the printed report; an electrically good/stable PRINTHEAD will state “Pen
OK”………if any other message is displayed then the PRINTHEAD has likely failed and may need t
Let me know whether it says " Pen OK" or not. Thank you~
Dustin S.
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist