Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Robert. My HP Color LaserJet 2840 is saying my machine is…

Customer Question
Hi Robert. My HP Color...
Hi Robert. My HP Color LaserJet 2840 is saying my machine is out of paper - but there is paper in the tray. Can't get it to print. Can you help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Printers
5/20/2015
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 3 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it?
.
It's 8 years old.
.
Has anything recently been replaced?
.
I replaced the paper pick-up and parts in tray 1 about 6 months ago because it wasn't picking up paper.
.
The entire assembly or just the rollers? Your current error can be caused by a problem with the pickup unit as well as board failure. Since you know how to remove it can you reseat it and see if the same thing happens?
.
The whole assembly. I'll try reseat it now - will let you know if it works
.
Ok.
.
So - document actually eventually printed. In the printer queue it shows status as "Error - sent to printer".
Have reseated the Tray 1 roller assembly and re-printed the same document. Error still there. After about a minute the error with status "Error - Printing" comes up. This is different from original message which was "Error - out of paper"...
.
The second error is a communication error, how is the printer connected to the computer? What version of windows or mac are you using?
.
Windows 7 Home Premium. Printer connected via USB through a Kensington docking station.
.
Can you test directly to the computer instead of the hub?
.
OK - put usb directly into computer and tested twice. Both times it immediately displayed "Error - Printing" - as opposed to the 30 second delay.
.
Please follow these steps using a different usb cable.
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)
Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.
Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
OK - will give this a go
.
Ok. Take your time.
.
OK Freddy,
I cleared queue, removed the printer from the devices folder. Restarted computer. On restart I installed the HP software that came with the printer. Halfway through the install it told me that I needed an administrator to install the software. I checked my admin rights - and sure enough I am an administrator on my own computer. Tried again (restarted computer, reinstalled disc) - got the same message.
In looking at HP site - they say the drivers are embedded in the Windows 7 software - so I restarted computer again and then just plugged the printer back in. All drivers for the printer (scanner, fax and couple of other functions I can't recall (about 8 in all) installed without a problem - except the "printer" driver. So now my computer doesn't even communicate with the printer portion of the machine - no print jobs in queue etc. I'm worse off now. I assume you are offline right now. I will not be in front of my computer tomorrow until late - but would appreciate any other suggestion to get this back online. Thank you
.
I was indeed offline I am in the EST timezone if that helps.
Click on start and then on devices and printers.
Here click on add printer at the top.
If it does not find anything click on choose from list/not listed.
Choose the local option.
For the port do not choose LPT1 choose USB001 virtual printer port.
When you get to the list click on the windows update button near the bottom.
On the left click on HP. Then on the right choose LaseerJet 2840 from the list.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy,Thanks - I do not have USB001 as a port option. I have the following: LPT1-3, COM1-4, FILE: (Print to file0, Desktop\*PDF, Documents\*.pdf, DOT4_003(HP Color LaserJet 2840Printer)=, NUL: (Local Port), XPS POrt (Local Port).Using HP support last night I got it to where I can print again by selecting the DOT4_003 port. I am back to my original problem however:Documents (PDF's in particular - as word doc come right out) are getting an "Out of Paper" as status in queue. After 10 minutes, left alone the document eventually prints.
.
None of those will work properly if you are using a USB connection.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
OK - no problem. Thanks for your help Freddy. I am at the point of buying a new computer - I think something is going on deeper than printer issue. I appreciate your time.
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 3 years ago
Robert M., Consultant
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.
the dot port is correct if it is hooked up via usb
does it say what tray is out of paper ?
it could be the pickup roller is not grabbing every time. does it sound like it is trying to grab it ? It might be a sensor that is not seeing the paper.
It could also be that the paper defaults are wrong and it thinks you have different paper in tray 1 and it wants to print from the manual feed or tray 2
check and make sure that the printer and the computer are both set for plain letter in tray 1 and that you are defaulting to printing on plain letter paper
you can try dropping a page in the manual feed and see if that gets rid of the error. If so it is probably trying to print from the manual tray for some reason.