Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My HP photosmart C8180 has not been printing the light cyan and cyan c

Customer Question
olors even thought they are...
My HP photosmart C8180 has not been printing the light cyan and cyan c olors even thought they are new cartridges and full. I printed an alignment page and it failed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
5/3/2015
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.Are the cartridges genuine HP and not generic or refilled?
Yes they are genuine HP cartridges. Just put a second set of new ones in...
When you try to print cyan do you get a very light image of what you should see? Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
No, my cyan colors are not printing at all on self test diagnotic page. They both are faded and have horizontal lines. On the alignment page the dark cyan prints the color but light cyan is faded with horizontal lines
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area. Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 secondsPlug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
OK, none of that worked. I even replaced all brand new cartridges for every color too. Failed alignment and self test diagnostic is the same as it was
Did it get slightly better at all? Cleaning that way can sometimes take up to 3 tries but as I mentioned it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. How old is the machine? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
no better at all. I cleaned the first set of cartridges and inside the printer, then tried and when it did not work, I put new cartridges in for al of them and no change. The printer is out of warranty. Unsure of age as we bought it when circuit city went out of business, probably 5 years? No extended warranty on it, as it was hardly used except for the last year. It printed wonderfully until the last month---
It ill probably be cheaper on me to buy a new printer than replace parts. I hoped this would be an easy fix...
I was afraid you would say something like that. The next step would be to try a cleaning kit like this: Click Here You can sometimes find a cheaper version of these on eBay with just the single cartridges you need instead of the whole pack. If the same thing happens after that it unfortunately means the print head needs to be replaced. It is the part you insert the cartridges into and has separate nozzles for each cartridge. That is why your other colors are still working. You can still use the machine you would just want to avoid printing anything with blue in it or use the printer mainly for text. The print head on your machine is part of a carriage assembly so normally the entire assembly needs to be replaced. There are some eBay sellers selling only the carriage they stripped out of machines for about $40. If you do not do it yourself the labor to get this done is normally an hour at the shops rate. I really hate to say it but usually it is indeed cheaper to replace the machine than to replace the carriage assembly. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
Well, thank you for trying to help me. I wish it would have worked but unfortunately it is probably just time to replace it. This printer was an awesome printer while it worked right! But printing what I need, unfortunately requires the blues...
If you would like I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
Since these things didn't work, does this mean, I still I have to pay $26???
Yes, the very first thing I did was warn you that you may need a part because needing one does not make this site free, and what you are suggesting is that I work for free. Something like that is completely out of my control all this site guarantee is honest and accurate information. It is impossible to guaranteed fix without parts. If you were to get the part I could walk you through replacing it and as I mentioned, If you would like I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
I thought there was a deposit of $5 and if satisfied with the outcome, the rest was to be paid. You didn't tell me to do anything that I hadn't already tried to do except cleaning off the print cartridges, which I ended up replacing anyway. I do not think the outcome was worth $26. I save lives for a living and don't make that much even when the outcome is positive. I would not have agreed to that without being able to get it fixed easily.
The very first thing I told you was that you may need a part.
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician