Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

Im getting a "paper output jammed" error message 5100 on a

I'm getting a "paper output jammed" error message 5100 on a Canon MP810 running on an iMac. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Is the error showing on the printer or the computer?
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The 5100 error comes up on the computer when I try to print. The printer window says "Error: Paper Output Slot: The paper is jammed. Clear the paper and press OK.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I answered your question - what now???

.
Please bookmark or favorite this page so you can get back to me.
Uninstall the printer from your mac.

Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the mac.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the machine.

Only connect the usb cable when the mac asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I've unplugged the printer and restarted the iMac. Do I turn the printer back on before or after connecting the usb cable?

.
Before please.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I followed your instructions and am still getting a message on the printer - now it says

Support Code: 1300 Paper jammed at the paper ejection slot. Remove the jammed paper and press the OK button.

I can't see any paper inside the machine and pressing the OK button just brings back the error message - what else can I try?

.
Do you have any compressed or canned air?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't have anything like that - if I did, what would I do with it?

.
Before that have you already check inside the rear panel for any paper that may have gotten stuck behind the roller?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I checked inside the rear panel, but didn't remove the roller bar because I wasn't sure how to do that - didn't want to cause further damage.

.
You do not need to remove it, if you were going to be able to get to any paper you could do it from there just by removing the panel.
Please turn off and unplug the machine, remove all paper and turn it upside down.
Shake it from side to side a couple times did anything fall out?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nothing fell out. The last piece of paper that jammed is intact - nothing was torn off it. It's very difficult for me to "turn it upside down" but I did it and nothing came out. What now?

.
Please reconnect it and turn it on, does the same error including the same number still show?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The printer says the same thing "Paper is jammed...." and the orange light is on. On the computer it says "Unable to print data. Support Code: 306 A communication error has occurred. Make sure the printer is plugged in, powered on, and property connected to your computer. Then try printing again.

Would it perhaps help to download the printer driver again.

.
Unfortunately no since the orange light is on. If the error was only showing on the computer that would have been something to try again. That also however means for the next step we are going to need compressed air. You can buy a can of compressed air for about $3 at any local computer or electronics shop.

You would then use that to blow out all areas in the machine the paper travels through. The feeder, the out path path, and the rear access. Then you may want to reinstall the driver again. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

I got the compressed air and blew out all the crevices, then downloaded the drivers for the printer and scanner, and restarted the computer. The orange light is still on, and the computer is still giving me the 1300 error when I try to print anything. Any other ideas?

.
How old is the printer?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought it in January, 2007. Do you think it's ready for replacement?

.
Darn, I was hoping it was under 3 years old with an extended warranty. Unfortunately after everything we have tried if the same thing happens it means the roller assembly would need to be replaced. This would need to be done by a technician and unfortunately it is usually cheaper to replace the machine.

Due to the price of the repair some people do decide to replace it instead. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your machine needing a new part, although I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did I have no control over either of those.
.