Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I need a pc guy to set up my business pcs in network to use

one printer...
I need a pc guy to set up my business pcs in network to use one printer
11/13/2013
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

how many have you got and what type of printer and do all the pc's get the internet from the same router ?

hi

I have 1 printer it is a Brother MFC J615W

and my main PC is a Dell optiplex755 the 2nd pc is same... and the 3nd is getaway xp

yes

all the pcs are connect to the same router and same switch...

are you there ?

ok I should be able to run you through the install. have you tried to do it at all ?

Have you tried to do it at all. Will it be done by Ethernet cable or wireless?

the first step is to connect the printer to the network either by wireless or Ethernet.

the instructions are on this link

http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/Content/en-US/MFC/Consumer/QuickSetupGuide/QSG_MFC_J615W_J630W_EN_2530.PDF

starting on page 19 for wired and 26 for wireless

for Ethernet you just have to hook up the cable for wireless you have to go through the menu on the printer console and supply it with the router ss/id or name and the passkey if it is a secured network.

Once the printer is connected to the router you install the software for it on each computer for the proper operating system. You can use the install cd that came with it on each computer

or you can download them from this link on each computer and run the install on each computer.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj615w_all

If the printer was connected to the network first the software should pick it up automatically.

It shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes on each computer would you like to give it a shot and get back to me on whether you ran into any issues ?

Let me re phrase...

I have 3 pc and 1 printer.

how to hook up those pcs to the printer so everyone using it pc can print it document ?

Yes, I understand and the instructions I gave will accomplish that. Each pc can connect to the printer directly once you hook the printer to the network and install the printer on each pc individually. That is the newer better way to do it since wifi printers became popular. Before that you used to have to install the printer on one pc or server and then attach to it through that computer. But now it just sits on the network and each computer installs it and prints to it directly

the instructions I gave above should accomplish that. Have you tried them ? Please do and let me know if you have any problems at exactly what point you had the problem

the instructions are on this link

I am sorry but you have not tried my solution nor given any explanation of why it isn't working for you. Nor have you even answered my question about how you plan to hook it up to the network Ethernet or wifi. And yet you give me a poor rating ?

I even offered to do it for you by remote access and you declined

Is it really fair to give me a poor rating ?

What is it that I can do to satisfy you and improve the rating ?

sorry... I have been running around...Let do it by remote

Can we set up a time to do it tomorrow I am heading for dinner and it will require you to give me access to each computer one at a time

I might also have to get somebody to put back the additional service because you rejected it and it no longer gives me that option ( its a new feature that they are still testing on the site so it isn't quite perfect yet )

also you would need to hook the printer to the network first because that has to be done physically from the printer console.

did you plan to do that by Ethernet cable directly between the printer and the router or switch or by wireless ?

I will try to follow what you said ...ok no problem..

ok thank you. If you would do that I think you will find its really easier than you might have thought and If you run into problems at any point give me the most information that you can on where it got held up and how and I can walk you through it.
Robert M., Consultant
Robert M., Consultant