Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.
46422908

I have a Brother MFC 9700 and am getting a Machine Error 71

I have a Brother MFC 9700 and am getting a Machine Error 71 message. Can you help?
Hi. I am Rick and I will be your printer professional.

Can I ask how old the printer is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure but about 10 years old

Ok Dennis, the reason I asked is that the error code 71 is a problem in the scanner unit motor. It is dragging and the printer cannot get it to the proper rpms. This is usually an indication the motor is about to go out all together. This motor is activated regardless of what function you are using so even if you were not scanning the error would still show. THis repair involves having the motor replaced and re syncing it to the printer, a job that will cost as much as the printer to do. Sorry for the bad news but if I can help further please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i understand it is bad news but thanks for the assistance

You are very welocme. Please do the ratings and have a great day.