Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I am attempting to install the Brother MFC-9125CN on my PC

running Windows ViSTA on a...
I am attempting to install the Brother MFC-9125CN on my PC running Windows ViSTA on a network. I am using the original CD supplied with the machine. I keep getting the error message regarding the printer:

Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000704). The specified port is unknown.

No matter what I do I cannot get beyond this step. I have repeatedly uninstalled and attempted to install to no avail..

Hoping you can help.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2013
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Engineer

Ansh P. :

Hi and welcome. I'm Ansh and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Ansh P. :

Which operating system are you using?

Customer:

windows vista

Ansh P. :

Are you using a usb cable to install it or via router?

Customer:

via router

Ansh P. :

Best will be to install using a cable in the beginning, can you try that pls?

Ansh P. :

that is why the unknown port error is coming

Customer:

i will need a few minutes to round up a cable

Ansh P. :

sure

Customer:

Ok found my cable

Ansh P. :

Great!

Customer:

so do i just disconnect all the router stuff and connect the cable? do i need to do an uninstall first?

Ansh P. :

no need, start installation by hard wiring the printer to the computer

Customer:

done....gives the message "locate & install driver software" as one choice

Ansh P. :

yes do that

Ansh P. :

choose the disk drive if prompted

Customer:

Looks like the installation is finished am restarting computer to complete

Customer:

can I remove the cable and just use the router now?

Ansh P. :

yes try it pls

Customer:

Upon reboot, i have that same message re locating and installing driver software. I assume that is just because i have not yet disconnected the cable... should i just disconnect and ignore this?

Ansh P. :

yes and try printing

Customer:

attempted to print a test page....did not work

Ansh P. :

Did you selected wireless installation at setup?

Customer:

I had selected network.....after i connected the cable, i just continued....did not start the installation from the beginning

Ansh P. :

Can i do it remotely for you? If yes, which browser are you using now?

Customer:

I am talking to you on my laptop, not the pc to which i am installing the printer.

Ansh P. :

no issues, open internet explorer on the pc

Ansh P. :

and open this link

Ansh P. :

http://tinyurl.com/JAREMOTE414

Ansh P. :

When open, click join and run the tool

Ansh P. :

computer restarting

Ansh P. :

Let me see if I can get auto reconnected

Ansh P. :

check if it works now

Ansh P. :

make sure printer is on and have paper

Ansh P. :

i think it's printed

Customer:

You printed from it ok

Ansh P. :

Great!

Ansh P. :

Any questions?

Customer:

could I ask you about my laptop?

Ansh P. :

Laptop is also not working?

Ansh P. :

I thought now I will get some sleep. ;)

Ansh P. :

use this link to give me remote access to this computer: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=eab6bf50-290a-433f-bb96-9b31a2b1f2a0

Ansh P. :

Which browser are you using in this computer?

Customer:

OSS 10.6.8

Ansh P. :

ok I am not sure about Mac OS

Customer:

that's os x

Ansh P. :

You have to raise a new ticket for the laptop I guess

Ansh P. :

Hope you are happy with my help.

Customer:

it was great thank you....

Ansh P. :

You're most welcome. Kindly do leave me a feedback using the smileys below this chat and have a blessed day

Ansh P.
Ansh P., Engineer
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Engineer