Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have the Error Code:

Customer Question
E020 0000 coming up on...
I have the Error Code: E020 0000 coming up on my LBP9100Cdn. What do i do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Printers
11/4/2013
Technician: DrKlahn, Engineer replied 4 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is an independent Q&A service not supported by or affiliated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

hi im here

DrKlahn :

Good evening from the USA (local time 22:33 PM). Please bear with me a moment for some routine information for new customers --

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're a first time user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a for-pay Q&A service, and not the official company support site for Canon Australia?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

yes i know tht

DrKlahn :

Splendid; thank you.

DrKlahn :

The E020 code you are seeing should be accompanied by a subcode which apparently the unit is not delivering. For example, E020 0203 -- problem in the black toner sensor.

DrKlahn :

The printer is not showing anything except all zero in the subcode field?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

sub code is 0000

DrKlahn :

OK. I am not sure how much we will be able to do since it is not identifying the problem sensor, but we can try a few things. Before we get into that, though, is the printer still under Canon warranty?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

no

DrKlahn :

OK. Let's see what we can discover.

DrKlahn :

"E020" is a generalized code for a problem with one of the toner sensors.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

ok

DrKlahn :

There are at least two in the LBP9100 and more probably four (one for black, one for each color). I am hampered in the specifics since Canon did not release a service manual for the 9100 to the public.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

that sucks

DrKlahn :

Indeed, it does make things much more difficult.

DrKlahn :

Have you tried removing the toner cartridges and replacing them one at a time to see if the problem goes away?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

no but i can

DrKlahn :

Please try that. Remove only one cartridge at a time, then turn the printer off, unplug it, push the power button once, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in, and turn it back on. This will cause the printer to do a power-off restart.

DrKlahn :

Repeat that once for each cartridge, and let me know if the situation improves. I'll hold while you try that.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

no luck with that

DrKlahn :

I'm sorry to hear that. Normally at this point I would say "Dust the toner sensor with a camel's-hair lens brush." However, without an illustrated parts breakdown -- which would be in the service manual -- anything I could advise would be shooting in the dark and might well make things worse.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

hmmm

DrKlahn :

I am going to have to recommend that you take the unit to a Canon dealer for service. If you will give me your postcode, I will be glad to locate the nearest one.

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

5271

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Please bear with me a moment while I get that information.

DrKlahn :

Canon is not returning anything for that postcode. Is there an area prefix to the number?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

no im in the country. Ive got to go pick up kids from school thanks for trying to help

DrKlahn :

OK. Let me give you the link to the Canon Australia service locator before we close ...

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

thanks for your help

DrKlahn :

If the service locator can not find a nearby dealer, and I do recognize that "nearby" may still be some distance away, Canon can be contacted from their web page.

DrKlahn :

I am sorry that there is no immediate solution to this one. Would you like me to send your question to Customer Service for a refund of your deposit?

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

thankd

JACUSTOMER-e1wpbhjr- :

yes please

DrKlahn :

I will do that. Customer Service will get in touch with you sometime in the next day at your email address to arrange for a refund.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything else I might be able to help with today? Please feel free to ask; my time is yours.

DrKlahn :

If not, please let me know and we'll close this question.

DrKlahn :

OK. I will forward your question to Customer Service, and they will arrange for a refund of your deposit. Thanks for using JustAnswer, and I wish you a pleasant day. You can close this browser window at your convenience.

DrKlahn :

(note 22:58 03-Nov-2013 -- Forward to C/S for deposit refund)

DrKlahn
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer