Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My CanonPIXMAMP460 gave me a message when I went to print that

My CanonPIXMAMP460 gave me a message when I went to print that the ink absorber was full. I printed and what I printed came out ok but I don't know what the ink absorber is and did not get any help from the manual. So, what do I do about this?

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First, a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to better meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!
_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the printer,

Nathan :

the message you are getting indicates that a critical part of the printer, the waste ink absorption system (a series of tanks/pads), is at the end of its life.

Nathan :

When this happens, the printer will not allow you to continue printing, as doing so will ultimately cause the absorber system to overflow, meaning your will have a messy puddle of ink all over your desk, inside the printer, etc

Nathan :

In the short term, you may get by for awhile by disconnecting the printer connections (both power and usb) and letting it sit without power for a few hours, in an effort to reset the error,

Nathan :

however, it will come back up again, and the only long term solution is to physically dismantle the printer, remove the old pads, clean out the system, and replace the pads with new ones. This is a rather messy and intensive job which most consumers are not up to, meaning you'd typically take it in to a shop for repairs,

Nathan :

however, the cost of such repairs (because of the labor involved in taking everything apart and putting it back together) is not usually practical. You can expect to spend upwards of $200 to get it fixed, while you can buy a brand new printer (with updated features, a fresh warranty, etc) for under $100

Customer:

Sounds like I should buy a new printer. This one only cost $99 so it's not worth it to spend lots of money. I have also had it for 7 years.

Nathan :

With that in mind, and considering the age of the printer (circa 2006), replacement makes the most sense, as other components are nearing the end of their useful life as well (printhead, rollers, etc). These printers typically have a functional lifespan of about 3-5 years, and yours is pushing 7, so replacement really makes the most sense.

Nathan :

Yes, you are exactly right, it is simply not worth investing in an old printer like this, you would be better off buying new.

Nathan :

I'll be happy to recommend some replacement options, if you'd like.

Customer:

Thanks for your input. I will head to Staples this weekend.

Nathan :

You're very welcome.