Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

After replacing all colour cartridges with original Brother

cartridges, the printer does not...
After replacing all colour cartridges with original Brother cartridges, the printer does not see them.
I also get error messages about jammed paper which is irrelevant and nonexistant.
I am using Windows XP.
Prior to these problems the printer was working OK, all colours were low but available except black which I replaced and was working.
The problems started after a power failure.
My printer is Brother DCP-J125 inkjet.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2013
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician

.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Have you already tried cleaning the machine by hand?
.

No, because before the power failure, it was working OK and normally it is not operating very frequently. Besides, I really don't know how to clean it by hand.

.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.

I have cleaned every cartridge as you sad then turned off the printer for a short time, then replaced all cartridges. Everything remained as it was before, it simply does not see any of the colour cartridges. It says that i should replace the black cartridge, but said nothing about the others. By the way, all cartridges are brand new, just out of their original packets.

.
I was afraid of that, the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have
posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between $60 and $80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between $65 and $75 per hour. You can get the part from here: Click Here

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Brother will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.

I have just checked my till slip and this printer was bought 13 months ago. It was always working well, even before the power failure. Besides, I used it infrequently and in a normal home office environment. Brother as a brand name is XXXXX XXXXX it is hard to believe that after such a short time it would need the replacement of a vital part like the print head..I must therefore get a second opinion from someone local.

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

There are many possible other repair steps that can be performed. Replacing the printhead is not a guranteed fix, its a possible fix, but not guranteed. I would feel much better if we tried some other steps before trying to replace the printhead.

Especially since you mentioned there was a power failure. Most likely, your internal firmware was damaged, or the NVRAM has faulted, ( which stores the internal Operating system of the printer )

Lets try this reset first, even though this reset is made to fix a different issue, we need to see if the machine will respond to normal technical commands given to it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_reset_brother_dcpj125_printer

Run through that reset in depth and let me know exactly what happens.

Also, there is a Firmware update tool... Meaning, there is a new version of the internal firmware for that printer.. I strongly suggest updating the firmware as updating the firmware stands the greatest chance of fixing this issue.. To update the firmware go to the page below

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/as/au/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=as&c=au&lang=en&prod=dcpj125_all&type2=4&os=all&flang=all&dlid=

Download the appropriate firmware updater for whatever version of windows you have, and also, make sure you choose the correct language. As we dont want your printer suddenly speaking chinese , if you do not~

Once downloaded, you will need to be directly connected to the printer via a usb cord. Do not use a usb hub, and do not use a network connection between computer and printer, when your updating the firmware.

Once the firmware update is absolutely finished.. Unplug the brother machine from power. ( do not just turn it off, actually unplug it )

And then plug it back in and then lets go over the status of the printer at that time. If its working, Great! If its not working, send a reply and let me know in detail everything you saw and everything that happened, and if you were able to successfully complete both of the two steps I sent you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

I have no SET button on my DCP-J125 printer. Please revise your previous message accordingly.

Lets move onto the firmware upgrade.. As that has the greatest chance of allowing us to fix this issue.

To update the firmware go to the page below

And then plug it back in and then lets go over the status of the printer at that time.

I have downloaded the firmware appropriate for Windows XP and English language. However, it says that teh update will not work if there is an error message on the screen. In my case, it still displays the note to remove the jammed paper even though there is no such thing. If I push the Stop/Exit button, it displays Quality .The orange "!" still flashes. If I unplug and replug.

the printer, it displays "No Ink install Black", then after some grinding noises

it displays again "remove jammed paper".

Understood..

Question, The opriginal ink tanks you had.. The ones that were working before you replaced them.

Can we try sticking those back into the machine.

Also, the carriage / printhead.. If you open the machine ( leave it open).. And then turn the machine off and on.. Does the carriage attempt to move at all ?

Before the power failure the originally present three colour cartridges were not quite empty and I recently replaced the the black one.The printer was working and was able to print about 15 black /white pages. If I now unplug and replug the unit, I hear some grinding noises (is this the carriage?" and again receive a message to close the cover. Upon closing the cover, a message says: "No ink, install black ink". Then it says again to remove the jammed paper.

Understood.
Can we remove the black cartridge, and install the old black cartrigde.. Then t urn the printer off and on and see if we still get, install black ink?

And also, even though your having the error condition.. We should attempt to update the firmware.. The messages your getting, the grinding noises.. All this happened after a power failure. A dead printhead wouldnt cause grinding noises like that. That says something is out of whack, and most likely, the internal firmware that tells the printer how to move was zapped during the power failure.

worst case scenario, it refuses the firmware update..

Unfortunately I no longer have the old black cartridge.I also pushed Sto/Exit and Up arrow simultanously and teh firmware code was displayed. It was said that the first two characters indicate the firmware code, thus 0C represents the correct firmware code. I removed the black cartridge, turned the unit off and on, and the same error message said:'No ink, replace black" and the grinding noises reappear (and I forgot to tell you that an empty sheet is also ejected). In other words, it does not see whether or not the black cartridge is plugged in.

It says nothing about the other three which i also installed after the power failure, but I don't think that it sees them either..

What happens if you remove the printhead itself.. ( including all ink tanks)

leave the printhead out.

Then turn the printer off and on.. What message do we get then? ( and at any point, have we tried removing the printhead and leaving it out.. As that may help us trace the grinding noise, and specifically identify where the sound is coming from and what moving part ( supposed to be a moving part anyways ) is causing the noise and fake paper jam message.

How can I remove the print head? Where is it?

If I remove all cartridges, a message says that all cartridges must be replaced. If I turn the printer off and then on, the grinding noise appears and the message is still "No ink cartridge, install Black". This means that it makes no difference whether or not any cartridges are installed, because it does not see them.

Please tell me how to find the print head and how to remove it.

Its a process. And this video should help you walk through it.

Not to mention, it will help you fix the waste ink absorber, which could be whats causing the grinding noise.. If the waste ink absorber is stuck in the printhead path..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYnGtxqjgM

I would remove the printhead and open the machine.. Sometimes just removing the printhead, turning the machine off and unplugging it from power, and then reinstalling the printhead.. Sometimes thats enough to get it working again.

But definitely, we need to discover the source of the grinding noise, and get that printhead out of there..

Dustin, It is midnight here in South Africa. I viewed the video on print head replacement but I don't think that I would attempt it.

I think that we've done enough here. I shall see if I could get a local repair outfit to undertake this job at a reasonable price.

I understand about time.. So if you woudl like to pick this conversation up again when its more convenient for you.. That would be fine..

My main concern at this point is, we cannot be certain that replacing the printhead is going to resolve the issue..

If its a firmware fault, or if some of the capacitors on the logic board popped when you had the power surge / failure.. Theres enough data that tells us, this isnt a printhead issue alone..

So if the local repair should would be willing to open the printer and investigate at a fair price, and try to remove and repair the current printhead and actually take the time to try and take apart the machine as suggested to try and locate the faulting item inside making that noise.. Then I would say, go for it !

But, if were simply discussing purchasing a printhead and getting a quote to replace just the printhead. Im 95 % certain that action alone, will not correct the issue.

But of course, your welcome to take it in and seek a second opinion, just as your welcome to discuss this further with me when your shedule and time permits, tommorow, or anytime throughout the week.

Thank you for your patience and for asking your question today.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist