Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

error message print head loose,missing, or not installed correctly.removed

error message print head loose,missing, or not installed correctly.removed & replaced several times with no change. model ESP 5250 sn G222799

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Koda,

Nathan :

there are a few possible causes of this issue. The contacts may be dirty, the printhead itself may be faulty, or the logic board that controls the printhead may be faulty or not communicating.

Nathan :

There are a few steps you can take here: remove the printhead, entirely, and clean it thoroughly using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Focus on the metal electrical contacts that make contact with the carriage.

Nathan :

If this doesn't help, you can then attempt to reset the machine: unplug power at the wall outlet, wait 15 minutes, then press/hold the cancel button (red x) on the top for 60+ seconds, keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after.

Nathan :

If the problem persists after these steps, then it tends to confirm a hardware problem.

Nathan :

At that point, there is about a 50/50 chance of it being the printhead, or the logic board.

Nathan :

You could go ahead and replace the printhead if you wish, which would be the next reset step to take:

Nathan :

However, as there is only about a 50% chance of it working, and because the printhead is about $50, I do not consider it a practical investment. Replacing the logic board is also not practical, as the parts and labor costs would be several hundred dollars.

Nathan :

You would be better off replacing the entire machine, as a new printer (with updated features, and a fresh warranty) can be found for under $100.

Nathan :

In general, Kodak printers are not very reliable, and tend to last a few years at most. So investing in this 4 year old model just doesn't make sense. If you wish to replace it with a comparable Kodak model, the current iteration of this machine is the

Kodak HERO 5.1 (click for link)

Nathan :

If you'd prefer a recommendation for another (non kodak) machine, I'll be happy to advise on those options as well.