Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I get a line down the middle of the page when I print with…

I get a white line...
I get a white line down the middle of the page when I print with my lexmark pro915. how can i fix this?
10/12/2013
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Does the same thing happen with photo copies?
.

yes. it makes the white line whether I print or copy. doesn't matter what i copy or print.

Have you already tried cleaning the feed rollers and print head?
.

where are the feed rollers & print head? I can try that right now.

The feed roller is the part of the machine you insert the paper.
It picks up the paper and feeds it through the machine.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machines print head first and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.

white line is still there.

Ok next we need to try and clean the feed roller.
Remove all the paper from the machine and disconnect all cables.

Then turn it upside down and shake it side to side a couple times.
This will make anything stuck drop out of the machine.

Then clean the rollers the same way you did the inside of the machine.
You will need to use a flashlight to be able to see far enough inside, longer cotton swabs are better as well if you have them.

.

white line is still there

Darn, how old is the machine?
.

about 2 years old.

Did you happen to buy an extended warranty with it? The factory warranty only lasts a year but the extended is 3 years.
.

No on the extended warranty. I had gone online with lexmark.com several times, & they kept putting me off - sending me things to switch out and the warranty had expired.

Unfortunately with what you are describing the most common problem is the print head being worn and needing to be replaced. If under warranty this is normally covered. Unfortunately out of warranty it can be expensive: Click Here for the part only. A technician will normally charge $65 to $75 labor + the price of the part to replace this. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.

through lexmark.com the print head was replaced about 3 months ago. I have made less than 50 copies since then becaus the of the continual white line issue. I will just toss this printer now.

any recommendations for a home printer with college kiddos?

I personally recommend this machine: Click Here Compared to just about any other all in one printer this one is better. It is extremely rare for a machine to have over 500 reviews and still have a nearly 5 star consumer rating. Your current machine by comparison only has 2 and 1/2 stars with far less reviews: Click Here

Epson used to be on the lower side of quality but they currently use the best parts on the market. This makes them the leader in quality parts. Lexmark uses the exact same parts as Dell printers (most are re-branded Dells). I would also avoid Kodak and Brother as they use poorly made parts as well. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician