Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Every time we try to send a fax, all we get is "NG: Poor Line

Every time we try to send a fax, all we get is "NG: Poor Line Condition / Out of Memory".

We just switched to VOIP but still would like to use our Brother. I have already checked for a fax in memory, I have unplugged and restarted but nothing works.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the brother,

Nathan :

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
Which VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc), and was it designated as a fax line?

Customer:

I guess you would dedicated because we only use it for the fax machine.

Customer:

I am using Voice Carrier as my VOIP.

Nathan :

Ok, there are a few possible issues here,

Nathan :

one may simply be that the voip line doesn't have the bandwidth or clarity to run faxes successfully,

Nathan :

the other is that the brother just isn't communicating well over voip (it isn't intended to support digital lines like this)

Nathan :

Typically, you can get around this even for voip lines that are not built for faxing (and generally just don't work well with faxes), by making a few settings adjustments to the brother. What you'll do is disable error correction, and reduce the send/receive speed to the lowest possible option.

Customer:

I did find a note on the internet regarding voip and brother. It said something about adjusting some setting to lower the baud rate and turns the ECM off.

Customer:

But I tried this to no avail.

Nathan :

That is exactly what I was describing,

Nathan :

if that didn't work, then it's a line problem.

Nathan :

It looks like Voice Carrier has a specific ATA which is meant for fax connections,

Nathan :

so if you aren't using that already, that is the likely problem.

Customer:

OK, I have a call in for them.

Nathan :

I'm sorry I can't do more for you. If you've already disabled the ecm and set modem to lowest speed, there is really isn't anything else that we can do on your end.

Nathan :

Hopefully they can provide a different voip adapter for you, though they may also need you to adjust some settings on your router to increase bandwidth to the ATA (setting up prioritization functions on router)

Customer:

How do I print out our conversation.

Nathan :

After you "rate" me, our live chat will close out and convert to a standard web page, which you can then save/print (or just bookmark/favorite to review later). You'll still be able to send me follow up messages at no extra charge as well, if you should need any further help after conversing with the Voice Carrier folks.