Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

canon pixma mp500 error code 6a00

canon pixma mp500 error code 6a00
9/13/2013
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a Q&A service not associated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

------------

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're offline, so I'll save this session. When you (re)join this session, please enter a message. This triggers an email indicating that you're online. Please allow up to 8 minutes for me to receive the email -- I will return as quickly as possible.

DrKlahn :

(note 10:43 13-Sep-2013 - No chat 10 min; save & wait pending customer joining session)

Customer:

please respond to error code 6a00

DrKlahn :

Good morning. I see you are back online.

DrKlahn :

Is the problem printer at hand so that you can work on it?

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

Splendid. One moment ...

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're a first time user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a for-pay Q&A service, and not the official company support site for Canon's printer division?

Customer:

yes i know

DrKlahn :

Excellent. Proceeding along to the problem at hand, the Canon MP series reports errors three ways; once to the printer display, once to the host computer, and once to the front panel LEDs as a blink code.

DrKlahn :

Are the front panel LEDs blinking yellow-green in a well defined, repeating pattern?

Customer:

ready

DrKlahn :

Customer:

ready

DrKlahn :

Customer:

go

DrKlahn :

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Is the count 12 alternations, then a pause, then repeat?

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

This confirms 6A00, purge unit failure. One moment while I bring in the description from the service manual --

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(click anywhere on the above thumbnail to see the image at full size)

DrKlahn :

There are two possibilities for this error.

DrKlahn :

One is that the purge unit's sponges have popped up or the wiper blades have stuck. This one is relatively easy to fix.

DrKlahn :

The other one is that the purge unit has jammed internally. This one is not possible to fix and the printer will need replacement.

DrKlahn :

Please unplug the printer at the wall and then push the power button once.

DrKlahn :

Then raise the printer cover, grasp the printhead carriage, and gently pull it to the left until you can see the inside of the printhead parking area. Gently is the keyword here. If the printhead carriage will not move, do not attempt to force it.

DrKlahn :

Let me know if the printhead carriage can be moved out of the parking area.

DrKlahn :

------------

DrKlahn :

DrKlahn :

(note 11:27 13-Sep-2013 - No chat 15 min; save & wait pending customer joining session)

Customer:

sorry i got called away from the computer im back now

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Continuing on ...

DrKlahn :

Can the printhead carriage be moved out of the parking area?

Customer:

i'm not sure what the printhead is. if it's the whole printer then the answer is yes

DrKlahn :

Thank you. The printhead carriage is the section of the printer that moves back and forth on the track, and carries the ink cartridges.

DrKlahn :

When the cover is lifted, the printhead carriage is visible in the "parking area" at the far right of the printer.

Customer:

e4 i lifted the cover and see the printhead in it's parking area

DrKlahn :

OK. Gently try to pull the printhead carriage out of the parking area. If it won't come out, don't try to force it.

DrKlahn :

Can the carriage be moved to the left, out of the parking area?

Customer:

i pulled printhead to the center position

DrKlahn :

Good. Now you will need a strong light to look into the printhead parking area.

DrKlahn :

Looking into the printhead parking area, what you see is the top of the purge unit.

DrKlahn :

There are two ink pads in the top of the purge unit. These look a little like sponges. They collect waste ink from the printhead and collect it to be pumped down into the waste ink holding tanks.

DrKlahn :

There is also a wiper blade that moves from front to back to clean the waste ink off the bottom of the printhead. This wiper blade should be in the fully retracted position and not halfway across the purge unit.

Customer:

i have looked into the parking area' and found a small piece of paper. i hve removed it with a pare of twesers.

DrKlahn :

This could well be the cause of the problem. Close the printer up, plug it back in, turn it on and see if the problem clears. If it does, well and good; if not, we'll have a closer look at the purge unit.

Customer:

i have it on and still have error code 6a00

DrKlahn :

OK. Turn the printer off, unplug it and move the printhead out of the parking area.

DrKlahn :

Push down (no more than 1/4") on the ink pads. If it is possible to reseat the purge unit, this will do it. The wiper blade may try to return to its home position when this is done; if it does, let it do so.

Customer:

turned off unpluged opened up. the printhead is still in the center position. i pushed down on ink cartrages. printer is still open.

DrKlahn :

OK. Close it up and restart the printer.

Customer:

closed pluged in and pushed start. still have code6a00

DrKlahn :

This indicates that it is the mechanics inside the purge unit which have jammed.

DrKlahn :

This is a repairable issue if the printer was sent in for Canon service, but the repair bill would be in the $200 range (2 hours service @ $75/hour, plus shipping both ways).

DrKlahn :

The options, then, are replace with an identical unit or replace with a new unit.

DrKlahn :

I've already priced the MP500s on ebay, and they are selling for $90 plus shipping, which is considerably more than the cost of a new printer.

DrKlahn :

There is also the issue that when buying a used printer, there is no telling how full the waste ink tanks are. If nearly full, you would shortly be looking at another non-functional printer.

DrKlahn :

Therefore, I recommend a new printer. Figure from $50 to $70 if you buy on the internet and not at a brick-and-mortar store.

DrKlahn :

To that end I have some commentary on what to buy and what to avoid in a new printer, and also some links to the online Canon and Epson stores.

DrKlahn :

Would you like to see those?

Customer:

thats bad news. thanks for your help. i think a new printer is in order. I will end chat and rate your help excellent

DrKlahn :

OK. Let me give you the links to the Canon online store, as they have some decent prices this week:

DrKlahn :

Either the Pixma 452 or the 459 would be an appropriate replacement for your MP500, and both also support wireless so any laptops you have could use the printer as well.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

If none of the above apply, and you're ready to close this question, please let me know and I'll bring in the closing information so that I don't delay you further.

Customer:

i would like to see the online links

DrKlahn :

You sure can. One moment and I'll bring those in.

DrKlahn :

At the Epson store the NX or XP series corresponds approximately to the MP series. The WF (Workforce) series are larger and are intended more for the home office or small business environment.

DrKlahn :

Canon's MG series at the 2000 or 3000 level corresponds approximately to the MP500 as well. The MG3120 at $50 would be a reasonable choice:

DrKlahn :

Some commentary on inkjets that may be useful:

DrKlahn :

The following are opinions I've formed over the past twenty years while dealing with inkjet printers from various manufacturers. These comments apply to consumer-grade and office-grade printers.

When shopping for an inkjet, keep in mind that the manufacturer's designed, expected and intended lifetime is 3 to 5 years. Therefore, do not overspend.

Avoid the following manufacturers:

Brother: Generally the low end of the business.

Kodak: Bankrupt as of 2012. Unreliable printheads. Expensive supplies. Support in the future is not clear.

Lexmark: Leaving the business. Support in the future is not clear.

In the middle: HP. HP puts much effort into making cartridges un-refillable, un-reusable, and has now added built-in expiration dates. The result is that sometimes HP's cartridges do not work in their printers. HP supplies new printers with "starter" cartridges having little ink, requiring two new $40 cartridges soon after purchase.

Better printer manufacturers:

Canon: Excellent diagnostics, with errors reported two ways. Printheads generally replaceable. Ink tanks less expensive than cartridges. Avoid the MP200 series.

Epson: Good quality. Printheads often replaceable. Very inexpensive third-party ink tanks -- Epson lost a lawsuit over this issue.

When buying a new inkjet, expect a five year lifetime. Buy based on the lifetime costs and not the initial cost. Here's an example:

HP printer: $60 printer, uses three $40 cartridges a year = $120/year. Five year cost, $660.

Canon/Epson printer: $120 printer, uses 12 ink tanks a year. Three sets of (4) generic cartridges at $12/set = $36/year. Five year cost, $300.

Anything other than the above manufacturers has thin market penetration and the quality and longevity would be only a guess. However, ink would be expensive due to a limited market.

DrKlahn :

Would you like instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline?

Customer:

no i'm finished

DrKlahn :

OK. Then I'll bring in the closing info and not delay you further --

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.

DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer