Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

my canon MP560 has been working perfectly for 2 years suddenly

it is asking me for...
my canon MP560 has been working perfectly for 2 years suddenly it is asking me for authorisation- print operator group - name and password XXXXX I have no idea what they are? how do I resolve this as i can no longer print
9/8/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
i am sorry to hear that you are facing this issue, but do not worry, i will try my best in assisting you to diagnose the problem

Michelle :

please let me know how is printer connected to computer

Michelle :

usb or wifi

Michelle :

and does this error come on printer or computer

Customer:

Please let me know asap what I need to do as I urgently need to use my printer - it is a wifi connection

Michelle :

is it a windows based computer or macosx you are using

Customer:

Error comes up on my computer- its says printer paused

Customer:

Mac

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

when i try to restart printer the box comes up that asks for print operator group name and password

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

do you have a usb cable to connect the printerto mac

Customer:

not sure ..have to get my son as he knows about my computer please wait 2 minutes

Michelle :

please follow the below steps...from apple menu...preferences...printers and fax...click on reset printing system

Michelle :

once done restart the mac...after that download the drivers for the printer from below link by selecting the osx version

Michelle :

download and install...once done click on apple menu..preferences...printers and fax...the printer should be listed

Michelle :

in case its not..please click on plus sign and add the printer

Michelle :

once done try printing and let me know the status

Customer:

The system preferences is asking for the computer's password XXXXX I cannot remember the password XXXXX the computer

Customer:

Im sure the steps should work, but I have forgotten the password XXXXX the computer because I did not set it up initially I had someone come in and do it for me

Michelle :

oh ok...you would need the admin password XXXXX get this working

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

please check with your son if he konws the password

Customer:

I have never needed this before

Michelle :

when was the last time the mac was working fine

Michelle :

as the problem is not with the printer but its the macos settings that seem to be causing the issue

Michelle :

are we chatting on same mac or its a different computer

Customer:

Same mac

Michelle :

ok...please let me know that when you turn on the mac do you get a password XXXXX

Customer:

no i dont

Michelle :

the same password XXXXX enter after turning on mac needs to be entered here as well

Customer:

well i dont get a password XXXXX

Customer:

when i turn on the computer

Michelle :

in that case the only way would be to check with the admin who set this computer up for password

Customer:

apparently he didnt put a passworde on according to my mum

Michelle :

further once you know the password XXXXX keep it with you safe as whenever you need to make any changes to computer it will always ask for this password

Michelle :

there always has to be an admin password XXXXX mac

Customer:

It ssays a login password XXXXX not beens set for this computer

Michelle :

this password XXXXX XXXXX whenever a new device needs to be added\installed

Customer:

well there wasnt one set

Michelle :

ok give me a moment

Michelle :

let me check

Michelle :

do you see a lock icon

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

ok..Click the lock icon. An authentication dialog appears....Enter your administrator account name (you can find the account name(s) in Accounts preferences)....click ok

Customer:

Done it what now

Michelle :

now open apple menu...system preferences..print and fax...

Michelle :

click on reset printing system

Customer:

done

Michelle :

let me know if it still asks for password XXXXX not

Customer:

it did but we found the admin name

Michelle :

ok great

Michelle :

so right now no printer is listed in the print and fax box

Michelle :

is that correct

Customer:

nope

Customer:

yes actually

Michelle :

ok now need to restart the mac computer..that is turn off and on

Michelle :

you can reopen this chat from just answer email by clicking on view answer

Customer:

what about installing the printer

Michelle :

yes..restart computer first

Michelle :

after that need to download and install it again from below link

Customer:

have done restarted computer... what now please?

Michelle :

ok click on link below

Michelle :

select the macosx version and then click on drivers and click on thedriver listed..download it..open\run the file

Michelle :

the cups printer driver

Customer:

installed

Customer:

however i cant find the printer on add printer

Michelle :

did the installation wizard run

Customer:

yes but we forgot to switch the printer on

Customer:

it's on

Customer:

and we have the printer in the print and fax preferences box

Customer:

yay

Michelle :

great

Michelle :

try printing

Michelle :

let me know if it prints or not

Customer:

all done...printing again....many thanks

Michelle :

great

Michelle :

let me know if you need any other assistance

Customer:

will do thank you again

Michelle :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so I can continue to help you. Thank you.

Michelle :

you may click on a smiley face below

Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert