Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Canon MG5300 "Printer Not Responding" - can you help with

this?...
Canon MG5300 "Printer Not Responding" - can you help with this?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2013
Nathan, Engineer

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Canon,

p0llinate :

can you tell me if you meant USB or Ethernet when you said a wired connection?

p0llinate :

Offhand, this is most likely a driver issue, so as long as the printer is on the network (preferably wired ethernet), you should be able to fix this by deleting the printer then reinstalling it.

p0llinate :

To do this, go to your Start menu, then Devices/Printers, then right click on the canon, then Remove Device.

p0llinate :

Then, we will download and install the latest drivers, which you can get here: https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg5320#DriversAndSoftware

p0llinate :

After downloading the driver, follow the install process (choose open/run) then Network Install (if using ethernet/wifi), or Local Install (if using usb)

Customer:

please contact me here after 4 PM Central Daylight time.

Customer:

I have tried both a wired USB connection to the printer and a wireless.

Customer:

I have already installed the latest drivers from canon and even during the driver installation the printer does not respond. it IS on, connected, etc.

Customer:

p.s. i am a 30 year IT veteran, you can talk as technical as you like, i am comfortable with the Windows Registry, and all aspects of a PC. Thanks

p0llinate :

Good morning, sorry I missed you earlier.

p0llinate :

I'm on Arizona time, and will try to link up with you later,

p0llinate :

in the meantime, have you tried the printer with any other computer, preferably via usb? This may be a faulty control board in the printer preventing it from responding to the pc. Testing with another computer would help us isolate the issue.

Customer:

i do not have any other computers to try this printer with.

Customer:

i am on st. louis time and available until 10 PM CDT

p0llinate :

Hi there, I will try to catch up with you after 10. In the meantime, please try to reset the printer: unplug power cord from wall outlet, wait 5 minutes, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in and for another 60 seconds after.

p0llinate :

Beyond the reset, without being able to test the printer on another computer, we really can't do anything else from this point, without being able to isolate if it is a printer hardware failure. If the issue persists after the reset steps, I would be inclined to think this is a failure in the printer though.

Customer:

the printer seems to work in terms of the functions ON the printer- copy/scan. i have also tried a different USB cord.

p0llinate :

The printer may still function for other things like copy/fax, which is all internal to the printer. If it's not working with either network or usb, that can mean the spooler or the interface on the printer is bad, or it may indicate an issue with windows, you could try deleting the printer, running a registry cleaner, then reinstalling again. I would hesitate to do more until you could test further by testing another printer on that pc, or testing the canon on another computer.

Customer:

i will delete and clean the registry and re-add tonight

p0llinate :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how it works out.

Customer:

removed printer, cleared registry, when trying to re add the printer it goes back to "printer not responding" and will not print. It does recognize it over USB but not over the wireless.

p0llinate :

Hi there,

p0llinate :

thanks for the update,

p0llinate :

it sounds like you've made some progress at least, if it is being recognized

p0llinate :

Have you tried any other usb ports, preferably one on the rear of the pc?

p0llinate :

You might also try seeing if you can update any of the drivers for your usb controller card

Customer:

i have tried each usb connector on the computer. no luck.

p0llinate :

Were you able to try updating the usb controller drivers?

p0llinate :

Any chance you can try taking the printer over to a friend/neighbors house and test it with another computer?

Customer:

i will try using another computer, but dont know how to update the usb controller drivers...

p0llinate :

If you go into your control panel, then device manager, you should see an entry for USB Controllers or USB Host, where you can right click, go into properties/drivers, and update driver (let windows scan and find one if available)

Customer:

THAT did it! After going thru the Devices and Printers update section, rebooting, and letting Windows Update do its thing, the printer works in both wired and wireless mode. I will give you a full credit/Excellent rating for this, thanks for your help.

Customer:

oh it won't let me rate, how do we complete this? Thanks

Nathan, Engineer
Hi Jim, thanks for the update. So glad to to hear that it is now working for you. Sorry it seems the live chat was malfunctioning, but you should be able to complete the rating function now.

Best regards,

i replied Excellent, let me know if it didn't go thru. Thanks again Nathan!

It did, I see the rating, thank you for that, it is appreciated.

Nathan, Engineer