Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

When I try to install a printer on win 7 OS the driver does not instal

Customer Question
l. It has done this...
When I try to install a printer on win 7 OS the driver does not instal l. It has done this with 2 printers. Both printers install perfectly on my other computers which are all running win 7
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Printers
6/21/2013
Technician: tbwhite2040, Technician replied 4 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician

tbwhite2040 :

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question. Please be patient as I research and troubleshoot your issue.

tbwhite2040 :

Are you trying to install from the printer disc or from the drivers on the HP website?

Customer :

Hp website and windows update

tbwhite2040 :

Also you need to make sure you are getting the right version driver fore the version of the Windows 7 operating system. In other words if you are using a 32-bit operating system then you can install a 64-bit version on your computer or it will not install and vice versa

Customer :

I have the 64-bit and I have made sure with both printers

tbwhite2040 :

When you installed from the website did you open the download and click the Setup or Install icon

Customer :

Yes many times

tbwhite2040 :

Does it run the install?

Customer :

The installation goes well no mater where I am installing until the driver installation then fail

tbwhite2040 :

What does it say on the screen when it fails?

Customer :

I will run it now and type it in

tbwhite2040 :

ok

tbwhite2040 :

Also make sure you choose the USB connection and not the network option when asked

tbwhite2040 :

thanks

Customer :

It will not install the printer from the hp software. it sees the printer but fails

Customer :

Device driver failed to install

tbwhite2040 :

Does it give you a reason

tbwhite2040 :

or a troubleshooting option

Customer :

No but I have tried every troubleshooter HP has as well as windows troubleshooter

tbwhite2040 :

OK click Start--------right-click Computer-------click Properties------click Device Manager------tell me if you see any red or yellow marks listed

Customer :

None

tbwhite2040 :

OK click Start-------Devices and Printers-------tell me if you see the printer icon listed for the HP you are trying to install

Customer :

Yes it has a yellow triangle

tbwhite2040 :

ok right-click on the printer icon-----click Troubleshoot-----tell me what it finds

Customer :

H470 does not have driver

Customer :

I applied the fix it provided

tbwhite2040 :

OK did it install the driver

Customer :

No

tbwhite2040 :

Does it still show a yellow triangle next to the icon

Customer :

Yes

tbwhite2040 :

ok what is the model of the printer

Customer :

H470 officejet

tbwhite2040 :

OK one minute please

tbwhite2040 :

OK first unplug the USB cable from the printer to the computer so it is not attached to the computer. Then click Start-----Control Panel-----Programs and Features-----uninstall any software for the H470 printer-----then delete the printer icon from the Devices and Printers------Then reinstall using the link below by clicking on the File name

tbwhite2040 :

tell me if you still get the error

Customer :

It is installing but I have done this a dozen times just as you have advised.

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

Its downloading

tbwhite2040 :

ok follow the onscreen instructions and when prompted plug the USB cable back into the computer

Customer :

It is starting install

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

Lots of extra software with download

tbwhite2040 :

yes it is the software and driver for your printer

Customer :

I have used this same download w/ the same removal procedures numerous times

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

I have hooked up the usb cable

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

It has stopped at stage 6 of 7

tbwhite2040 :

what does it show on the screen

Customer :

It always stalls right there

Customer :

Still working

tbwhite2040 :

Does it show anything on the screen

Customer :

computer and printer w/ usb cable between stage 6 of 7

Customer :

its a picture with a status bar underneath

tbwhite2040 :

ok is it still loading

Customer :

It is still stalled at stage 6 of 7

Customer :

It does say device detected but it stalls at 6 of 7

tbwhite2040 :

Ok lets give it just a few more minutes to see what it does

Customer :

been doing the same thing for about 5 min

Customer :

k

tbwhite2040 :

Do you have any other printers installed on the USB ports?

Customer :

No I have wireless printer installed it has no problems

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

I can install this printer and driver when I do it from the homegroup and it is installed on another printer. But I can't install it on my laptop. This is printer I want to travel with and need to use it no matter where I am.

tbwhite2040 :

I understand

Customer :

Install stopped big red X between computer and printer picture now

tbwhite2040 :

ok have you tried changing USB cables

Customer :

I have a option for next

Customer :

Yes I have used different cables and ports

tbwhite2040 :

click Next and tell me what happens

Customer :

It has continued the install of other software

Customer :

It finished

tbwhite2040 :

OK click Start-------right-click Computer------click Properties------click Device Manager-----click the arrow beside Universal Serial Bus Controllers------tell me if you see Enhanced USB controllers listed

Customer :

It installed an icon and I clicked on it and it is back to installing screen where it hangs at 6 of 7

tbwhite2040 :

ok see if it finishes again

Customer :

It is listed there but with no problem icon beside. Says best driver installed when asked to update

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

still at 6 of

Customer :

7

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

it is listed as dot4 usb

Customer :

hp470 dot4 usb

tbwhite2040 :

If it does not finish installing then something in your operating system either software installed or driver installed is causing the installation to fail. I would do a system recovery on your laptop and set it back to factory settings and then try installing the printer software and drivers again

Customer :

I tried a system restore back 60 days but to no avail. but I think youre right I had considerd the same thin

Customer :

g

tbwhite2040 :

Yes the system recovery would get rid of anything that could be causing the issue such as malware or bad drivers etc.

Customer :

I installed win 7 myself about 1.5 years ago on this laptop. It did not come w/OS this is the first problem I have had. I have installed many things as well as printers on it w/ now problem

Customer :

I hate to do a re install of win 7 for such a minor problem

tbwhite2040 :

It could have gotten some hidden malware or virus on it that might be causing the issue

tbwhite2040 :

I understand but since you have removed and reinstalled the printer with the same issue then there might not be any other option

Customer :

I have Norton 360 on all my computers and have not had problem

Customer :

That was not the answer I was looking for. I will probably continue till I find the problem. I have done all you did plus. But I believe this is a fixable thing

Customer :

These are the easy things to do that we have done

tbwhite2040 :

Yes but if a virus or malware is embedded inside of any software and you allow that software to install. it could infect your computer and disable your antivirus program which could cause false negatives. The only true way to tell if you are infected is to start your computer up in Safe Mode with Networking and install a different antivirus program and run a full system scan to see if anything is found

Customer :

I was hoping for someone who understood registry problems. I think you are wrong about the virus program as I am not having any problems of any kind except with the printer install

tbwhite2040 :

OK would you like me to opt out and allow other experts to assist you

Customer :

I will find as many problems as there are programs if I start running other virus programs

Customer :

I have got to go right now. I have a trucking co. and I have a driver broke down.

Customer :

We have not done anything here though

tbwhite2040 :

OK would you like for me to assist you when you return

Customer :

If you have some more ideas

tbwhite2040 :

I will do some research and see if I can find some more answers for you

Customer :

thanks how do I get back to you

tbwhite2040 :

Just click the Save and Exit button at the bottom of the chat window and when you get back online just post back to this same question and I will see it and reply back to you

Technician: hongkongpom, Technician replied 4 years ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your printer question.

If the problem is due to a corruption of the driver software then please unplug the printer from the computer and download & run this special HP uninstaller.

After this has been completed then please run the installer again making sure that the computer is not connected to the printer until it tells you to.

Best regards,

hkp

I told him I had done the same things he had me do. Nothing he had me do worked. Wanted me to reinstall OS to original settings. This is a business computer. I just needed a printer installed. I continued my search on the internet and found it to be system configuration problem. I had to solve my own problem. I think I was ripped off and I wasted nearly two hours fooling with something I had been doing myself for over a week. Total waste of time and money.

I fixed this myself. No thanks to you guys. rip-off

refund my money would be the best fix you could give me, considering the results I got from this service.

did nothing to help

For your information I was waiting on you to reply back to me. I was not through trying to help you. I can't wait on the computer all day waiting on you to reply back to me. Second we do not get paid a dime until you are satisfied with our answer. So I wasted my time as much as you wasted yours. I told you that it sounded like an operating system issue which would have been the registry issue.

I WANT A REFUND

tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician