Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Need help with Epson fax machine troubleshooting.

Customer Question
Why is the Epson printer...

Why is the Epson printer having communication problems almost each time something is faxed? It is a new printer/fax, it is only 3 months old.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Printers
12/28/2012
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 5 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

I would like to provide information and assistance with regard to the problem mentioned in your question.

But first I will need to ask about some details of the case, before I can offer an appropriate and accurate answer to your question:

- Please tell me what type of phone line service you have your Epson's fax function hooked up to and running through.
- Please inform me as to whether you have changed your phone line service in any way in the last month or two ?
- Does the 'error b52' appear on the Epson device itself, or on the computer screen, or on a printout from the Epson device?

We have our phone line through a cable company and there have been no changes to the service. The error message is on a printout from the device.

What is your phone line service called, or what is the providing company?

(I need to get some idea as to what sort of phone line you have... I'm sorry if the question sounds intrusive, but it could be very relevant to the error you are having.)

Does the printout with the 'error B52' have anything else on it, worth mentioning?

The phone line is through comcast with their business services, as this is a business printer/fax. no other relevant information. We fax to this comany every week a fax that is about 24 pages. It never takes it on the first try and if we just keep trying and making the number of pages faxed smaller we can usually get the whole thing done.! My husband is ready to shoot the printer so I really need your help1

It is possible that lowering the transmission speed of the Epson machine's faxing operations might help with the unreliability of faxing that you are asking about.

It is possible also, that the problem is at the other end. For every faxing problem, as a matter of plain fact, there are no less than three possible problem locations: the sending fax, the phone line between faxes, and the receiving fax.

But, to lower the transmission speed on your own fax, to try to make the error less persistent or eliminate it altogether, you need to turn off these two features:
V.34 and ECM (Error Correction Mode)
in your Epson device's faxing settings or fax setup.

To do that, press the SETUP (or 'tools icon') button on your Epson machine.
You should see this screen:

Press the down arrow button (or the up arrow) to bring into view and select/highlight the Fax Settings option.
Press OK. You should see this screen:

At this point, select 'Communication'. Press OK.
Then select 'ECM' and set it to 'Off', and confirm the setting change.
Then get back to this point, under 'Communication' settings, and select 'V.34', set it to 'Off', and confirm the setting change.
Then get back to the main / standby menu by pressing the 'Copy' button on your Epson machine, once.

I hope that helps with the problem.