Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

How to connect Canon Pixma MG3220 printer to Linksys router?

Customer Question

I am trying to connect a new Canon Pixma MG3220 printer to a Linksys E4200 router and then to the iPad2 which is already on the network.

I've clicked on/held the maintenance button on the printer, then clicked on the Fit to Print button and see the flashes in the display. Then I click and hold the WiFi Protected Setup button on the rear of my E4200. After 60+ seconds the printer display reads E-2-1. My router and my printer are 2 foot apart. Any ideas?

Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Lets try to add the printer to your network manually, without using the WPS button.
Im assuming that you know the logon password ***** your wireless network, and the network name.. ( The same ones you used to connect the Ipad via wifi)
Lets connect the MG3220 printer to your computer, use the installation disks.. and then follow these steps to re run the wireless setup.

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/wireless/Router_change_MG3220_win.pdf

Once we have connected the printer to the wireless network, the ipad should be able to see it and use it.

Let me know if you get stuck or run into any issues, Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not want to connect the printer to my PC. I want the printer to use what Apple calls its "AirPrint." After configuration/setup, the printer will be used exclusively with an iPad2.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

I understand that..

My intentions arent to use it with the PC.. We are just using the PC, in order to get the Canon printer on the network itself.. ( since the WPS button isnt working)

Once we use the computer to get the canon on the network.. You can disconnect the computer and it wont be needed any more.. The computer and the software disk are just another way of getting the printer to join the network .. I hope that makes sense?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, software is installed and the software did its autorun thing. It got to the point of trying to detect access points. I do not see my access point listed.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Ok.. Lets try on the printers control panel itself..

These steps may not be exact, so you may have to look around a bit.. But generall speaking this is how we should proceed.
On the printers control panel, click settings, then maybe network settings,
it may next go into wlan settings, or possibly a wireless setup wizard.

This should allow you to select the wireless network from the printers control panel and then, it should ask you to enter the network password, wep key, or wpa key.

Once the printer is connected.. The ipad should be able to see it.. But lets try to work through the wireless network setup on the printer.. Let me know if your able to make it that far and get it connected.. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's the problem, Dustin. The printer control panel is very very basic - only shows the number of copies and a wireless access indicator. The printer does not have a configuration capability like most other printers. To setup wireless, you press the Maintenance key on the printer until you see an indicator in the window, then press the "Fit to Print" key after which you are supposed to press the WPA button on the router to get the router to see and talk with the printer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Since your printer doesnt have the settings panel on it.. Lets focus on the software itself.

The computer that your using to try and configure the printer with, is it a windows xp, vista, windows 7, or a mac?