Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Just replaced the black ink cartridge and the printer says

"waiting for report and black...
Just replaced the black ink cartridge and the printer says "waiting for report and black ink is running low". Nothing will print.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/25/2012
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. Is this error showing on the printer or computer?

printer

Before we continue I would like to explain how the site works.

1. We will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix.
2. You agree not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time.
3. You understand some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control, and agree not to leave a negative rating if that turns out to be the case based on it being bad news.
4. You are rating me only not this site, your device, or the devices manufacturer.

If you need any clarification on any of these or do not agree let me know.
Is the new cartridge genuine canon?

yes

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there
If it is it means the print head has failed
In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced
The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page
Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself.
Just in case before replacing that part The next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but the kits are not specific to any one brand every kit comes with the same thing. A solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself so I would call around for a price first. If you need any clarification on this or have any questions about it please let me know, if not please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that is how this site credits me for my time. Also please note you are rating my service only and not this site or your Canon printer. I have no control over how Canon manufacturers there machine or the machine needing a new part. If for some reason you try to rate and you are not able to please let me know.

I'll give it a try and let you know

Take your time.

A lot of ink came off the color cartridge but very little came off the new black cartridge. I'm getting the same message after clean up.

Unfortunately then that means the print head has failed

Don't understand how it can be working perfectly last night and this morning not at all.

It was working perfectly last night with the old cartridge? If so your new cartridge may be defective. Try the old cartridge and see if the same thing happens. If it does then unfortunately my answer is still the same. If it does not and it works properly your new cartridges it defective and should be returned to get it exchanged for another. If you need any clarification on this or have any questions about it please let me know, if not please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that is how this site credits me for my time. Also please note you are rating my service only and not this site or your Canon printer. I have no control over how Canon manufacturers there machine or the machine needing a new part. If for some reason you try to rate and you are not able to please let me know.

I got the message last night that is why I changed the cartridge

Ok then unfortunately technically last night it was not working perfectly that is when the print head failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced

Hard to believe it could happen instantly from good to nothing.

It happens over time, and I am not sure what you want me to tell you. If the error was on the computer it could be something else. However you said it was on the printer. That means there is an issue with either the cartridge or the print head. I also gave you a cleaning kit that can help in case there is something stuck in the line. These are the only two things that can cause this. People often say the same thing about computers when there hard drive fails, it was working fine the day before. If you need any clarification on this or have any questions about it please let me know, if not please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that is how this site credits me for my time. Also please note you are rating my service only and not this site or your Canon printer. I have no control over how Canon manufacturers there machine or the machine needing a new part. If for some reason you try to rate and you are not able to please let me know.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician