Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My Dell V313w printer will not now print. When I tried printing

My Dell V313w printer will not now print. When I tried printing yesterday blue ink all over paper. Changed ink cartridges(both b and colour) but Message says "printhead problem consult user guide" which I have done, followed all troubleshooting tips both in guide and on Dell Support. Turned printer off and on, took out printhead, cleaned put back still error message which I now can't remove so can't try any other maintenance. Any ideas or do I need to get a new printhead(assuming they supply) from Dell?
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. First I would like to explain how the site works.

1. We will need to troubleshoot your issue as there is most likely not a quick fix.
2. You agree not to rate until our conversation is finished, you can reply to me any time.
3. You understand some issues require parts to be replaced which is out of my control, and agree not to leave a negative rating if that turns out to be the case based on it being bad news.
4. You are rating me only not this site, your device, or the devices manufacturer.

If you need any clarification on any of these or do not agree let me know. Does it give you an error number as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, no error number. But having turned printer off then on, message has gone but still nothing prints. Tried under maintenance, clean printhead and paper just showing black bars came out. Printed test page which has printed in black, but when tried photocopying(this is when problem started as opposed printing from computer) again just blank page.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there
If it is it means the print head has failed
In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced
The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page
Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself.
Just in case before replacing that part The next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but the kits are not specific to any one brand every kit comes with the same thing. A solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself so I would call around for a price first. If you need any clarification on this or have any questions about it please let me know, if not please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that is how this site credits me for my time. Also please note you are rating my service only and not this site or your Dell printer. I have no control over how Dell manufacturers there machine or the machine needing a new part. If for some reason you try to rate and you are not able to please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try what you say. Bizarrely I have just printed your page of instructions from the computer which printed out in black.- weird if won't photocopy!

If I do your rating, will I still be able to come back with any further queries on the subject?

Yes you can come back to this page after rating by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page. However it sounds like you may have a scanner issue and not a print issue. Please try printing out 5 more sheets do they all print? If it does try scanning do you see the light come on? Does the scanner mechanism (metal bar) move across?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

5 printed ok. Scanned and light on and scanner moves across.

Did the scans come out blank?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry to take so long! scan came out correct with both black and colour.

Ok try making a copy now and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

photocopy came out blank.
Shall I try your cleaning tips mentioned above next and report back to you later or do you want me to try something else first?

Are you using the adf to make copies?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Document to be copied is just face down on glass, I don't have adf(assume this means automatic document feed?)

Yes it does, that is very odd, using the scanner glass the scans should either come out blank or prints should come out blank. Is this a color copy? If you try printing color does it some out blank?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am going to try the cleaning exercise you referred to earlier. Will come back to you once done.

Ok if this is a color copy and color prints come out blank as well then those steps would be correct including the print head issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hiya, have carried out the cleaning exercise but still blank prints when trying to photocopy page with colours on it. No messages showing however regarding printhead.

Do printed pages with color come out blank as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just tried printing colour page from computer, and it printed only in black and white. I only changed the colour cartridge yesterday and printer is saying it is just over half full.

Ok that means the print head has failed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your time. I will see what the cost of the print head cleaning kit is here in Uk, and just in case also look at costs of replacing printhead itself. Goodbye.