Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My HP Photosmart 6510 is not printing the colors black and

yellow despite new genuine HP...
My HP Photosmart 6510 is not printing the colors black and yellow despite new genuine HP cartridges installed
7/8/2012
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Hello and welcome, my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you today.

How old is this printer?
Have you run the built in printhead cleanings?

Thank you

My printer is new, I did not use it very much.

I've run the cartridge cleaning. Is the printhead cleaning different?

Thanks Isolino, this is the cleaning I'm referring to:

From the control panel home screen on the printer, touch the Setup icon (wrench icon).

Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead. The product cleans the printheads, and then prints a test page.

Is this the cleaning that you ran, and if running it 2-3 times, do you see any improvement of the black and yellow inks on the test page?
I've made it already 3-4 times. whent it prints I get 5 squares in blue, magenta, space (not printed) eggplant color/purple, ble and magenta
Thanks for confirming, please take your time with the answer below and remember, if you still need help afterwards, please do not mark Bad or Poor Service. Instead, just click Reply to Expert and let me know, there is no extra charge and we will try another solution if available. Thank you!

::

Open the printer and remove all cartridges. Turn off the printer and disconnect all cables from the back of it. Use a q-tip dampened with warm water to clean the copper contacts on the cartridges and in the printer. Keep cleaning until no ink comes off on the q-tip.

Next, check all the ink cartridges and make sure that any prepackaging has been taken off:

Image: Orange pull tab

Then make sure they are vented correctly:
Image: Vent area on the top of the cartridge

Normal

Image: Unclogged vent

Clogged

Image: Clogged vent

source: http://is.gd/a68fHF

You can use a pin to clear the vent if necessary. Now, reinsert the ink cartridges and reconnect all cables to the back of the printer. Plug the printer back in to the outlet, then turn the printer back on, and run a few more printhead cleanings as we did earlier. Please let me know how that goes, I can give you some special steps to soak the printhead and clean it if needed.
No changes. Same status as previously, black and yellow not printed
If you look inside the printer, does your printhead have a latch on the side, like this:

Arrow pointing to latch on side of printhead

No

I see, on some models we are able to remove the printhead and then soak it. The problem here is there is a very bad clog on the printhead, that or the nozzles have worn out. In these cases, you have a few options:

1. You can try a printhead flush kit for you model, click HERE. These types of kits come with a small syringe and vinyl hose so you can inject a cleaning solution into the printhead. Sometimes this works, as the combination of the solution and pressure from the flush kit can unclog advanced clogs. There is a 14 day money back guarantee on this particular flush. Please note I am not affiliated in any way with the particular companies that sell these kits.

2. If no luck, unfortunately either the sensors inside the printhead have failed for the missing colors or the nozzle is permanentely clogged/worn and you will need to replace the printhead to fix this. Please call 1-800-474-6836 or 1-800-227-8164 and they can give you the quotes on this type of repair. If you are still in warranty this will be covered. If you are out of warranty to be honest it may not be worth the cost of repair. HP may be able to give you a deep discount towards another printer that is compatible with your current cartridges (so those don't go to waste).

I'm sorry this is not immediately fixable, sometimes the printheads require either a flush or in the worst case scenario, complete replacement/repair, I hope the information was helpful, please, let me know if you have any further questions on anything at all.
One question: the problem is not fixed, but it is surely not your fault. I can give you a satisfied rating, but do I have to pay 28 USD despite of not solving the problem?
The site pays me a portion of the 28 usd deposit you made, only if you rate ok service or above. However, I completely understand your situation, if you would like, you can change the value of the question to something you feel is more fair as far as the outcome today, if you would like to do that, just let me know and I'll forward this to customer service.

Could you send me the rating icons to finish?

Thanks anyway for your effort. Have a nice sunday!

Absolutely, you as well Isolino! A positive rating is highly apprecated : )

Best regards,
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician