Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Why Does My Brother Printer Show Offline?

Customer Question
My Brother printer MFC 7860...

My Brother printer MFC 7860 DW is showing offline although its on. I can scan from my laptop but cannot print. What could be the problem? My laptop is Windows 7.

Thanks

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Printers
7/7/2012
Technician: Bernie, Printer Technician replied 5 years ago
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician

Is this printer on the network, or is it directly connected via USB cable to your computer?

It is on network

Has there been any change in the Internet provider or wireless network (like a new password or router change) that you know of?

Yes change of internet provider and wireless modem too. But it was set up back on July 1st and it worked ok. Test page was printed well.

Oh ok, so the printer was working ok for a while under the new internet provider.

This might be a corrupted driver on the computer, or it might be that the printer itself has lost it's internet connection. To test, please take these steps for me:

*If your Brother machine has a touchscreen:

1. Press Menu.
  2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Print Reports.
  3. Press OK.
  4. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose WLAN Report.
  5. Press OK.
  6. Press Black (Mono) Start, Color (Colour) Start or Start.

1. Press Menu on the touch screen.
  2. Press the Up or Down arrow to display Print Reports.
  3. Press Print Reports.
  4. Press the Up or Down arrow to display WLAN Report.
  5. Press WLAN Report.

Once you have the WLAN report printed out, please post 2 things back to this page:

1. The IP address (This will be a number like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, or 169.254.x.x, or it may not show any number next to the IP address).
2. Whether it says Connection OK or Failed

WLAN report

It says 'connection ok'.

Good, and do you have the IP address from that page?

Network name homewifi

Hardware address (mac) 00:22:58:73:a3:39
Communication mode infrastructure
Authentication type WPA/WPA2-PSK
Encryption AES
Network chanel 5
Wirelss modem is of apple

I see, is there any IP address # shown on the WLAN report, like this:

image

image

If not, what is the model of the router you're using, and do you know the network name (SSID) and password ***** it by any chance.

WLAN report doesn't show any IP address in the form shown in the report.

Yes I know SSID and password.
Go ahead and reset the network settings to factory defaults on the printer:

1. Make sure the machine is not operating, then disconnect all the cables from the machine (except the power cord).
  2. Press Menu.
  3. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to choose Network. Press OK.
  4. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to choose Network Reset. Press OK.
  5. Press 1 to choose Reset.
  6. Press 1 to choose Yes for reboot.
  7. The machine will re-start, re-connect cables once this is complete.

<For touchscreen models>

2. Press MENU on the LCD screen.
  3. Press Network.
  4. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Network Reset and then press Network Reset.
  5. Press Yes.
  6. Press Yes for 2 seconds to confirm.

Once you've done that, please let me know and I'll give the next set of steps.

Ok, I have reset the network on printer and it has restarted..

Now go ahead and use the steps below to re-enter your network settings, there are 17 steps in all (click to view):

Steps 2-4 (Step one is just knowing your SSID and password):

graphic

Steps 5-9

graphic

Steps 10-11

graphic

Steps 12-17

graphic

It should say it connected successfully, let me know once you're at this point.

Pictures source of Brother.com. Manual for MFC7860DW.

I did go to WLAN set up wizard and it showed me the SSID. I selected that and asked for key which I entered and then printer showed message connected and printed same WLAN report as earlier.

It didn't ask me anything given in step 10 to 17.
Ok great, does that page that just printed out now show an IP address on it?

If not,
  1. Press Menu.
  2. Select Print Reports => Network Config. Press OK.
  3. Press Black (Mono) Start or Color (Colour) Start or Start.
  4. Press Stop/Exit.

<For touchscreen models>

1. Press Menu on the LCD screen.
  2. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Print Reports. Press Print Reports.
  3. Press the Up or Down Arrow key to display Network Config. Press Network Config.
  4. Press Black (Mono) Start or Color (Colour) Start or Start.
  5. Press Stop/Exit.

Can you get an IP address from that sheet?

Yes

ip adress 10.0.1.11
subnet 255.255.255.0
ipgateway 10.0.1.1
but don't print the test page yet
Very good, now the printer seems to be connected to the network, here's how we can test it.

From the computer that's supposed to print wirelessly to the printer, please go to this link (or just click it if you're on that computer right now):

10.0.1.11

Does a network configuration page for your Brother printer come up successfully, or does it say something like this page cannot be displayed?

If it comes up successfully, all we'll need to do is reinstall the printer drivers on the computer and I'll show you how to do that.

It shows the configuration page of the printer on my laptop.

Perfect, do you have the setup cd that came with the printer (it's ok if you don't, I just wanted to check first).

I have setup CD.

On your laptop, click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > Right click and remove your Brother printer listed there and any copies of it. You might need to close the Devices and Printers window and open it again to fully remove some instances of the printer.

Restart your PC, then return to this page > Insert the CD into the laptop and reinstall the printer > Make sure to install it as a network/wireless printer > When you finish reinstalling the printer, try to print again.

I am sorry but it does not work yet. Exactly same situation as before we started.

Printer is shown offline and test page doesn't print but I can scan the page.
I'm sorry to hear that, lets continue: Click the Windows Start button > Devices and Printers > Right click your printer and select "See What's Printing" and look in the queue window.

Are there are any documents in there?

Yes 2 docs. The test pages I tried to print.

Go ahead and press Printer in the menu bar and Cancel all Documents. If some documents will not remove from the queue, continue:

Please click here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/

Click the Green Run Now button on the page, then download and run the Fix It program. Follow the prompts and see if that resolves your issue, it may ask you to restart.

If it doesn't, click the Windows Start button > In the search box type services.msc and press enter > Scroll down and right click the Printer spooler, click properties

Make sure the startup box is set to automatic > Stop the service and press ok > Next click the Windows Start button again, then Computer

In the upper left part click the organize button > Folder and search options > Click the View tab

Under advanced settings select Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives > Uncheck the hide extensions for known file types and press ok.

Finally click the Windows Start button > Computer > C: drive > Windows > System 32 > Spool > Printers > Delete all items in that folder.

Now go back to services.msc, and find the printer spooler again > Right click it and select properties > Start the service, and press ok > Try to print now.

No sir, nothing happened, situation remained same. It doesn't work, keeps showing printer offline and test page doesn't print.

That is extremely strange...since the printer itself is connected and your computer is on the network and can reach the printer config page.

Are you running an antivirus/firewall?
Is the printer listed in Devices and Printers with a green checkmark, or a yellow triangle?

There are 2 printers shown, one with green check mark and another as copy. 1 with two heads both remain dim and both show printer offline.

Please try this next:

1. Click Start => All Programs => Brother => Your Brother machine name => Status Monitor

2. Check the printer status on the Status Monitor.

3. For Windows Vista® Users:
    Click Start => Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Printers, right click on the printer icon for your Brother machine and choose Properties.
    (If there is the menu Run as administrator, choose it and click Properties. When the User Account Control prompt appears, click Continue.)

For Windows® 7 Users:
    Click Start => Devices and Printers, right click on the printer icon for your Brother machine and choose Printer properties.

4. Click Port tab and click Configure Port ...
    For Windows® 7 Users: If all buttons are grayed out, click General tab and click Change properties. Enter a password ***** an administrator and click Yes.

image

Note

If the Configure Port ... button is grayed out, go to STEP 1: Check the IP address and the Boot Method (IP Config) of your Brother machine.

5. Change the Protocol to Raw and click OK to close the driver properties.

image

If the problem still continues, please continue to follow the instructions below:

STEP1: Check the IP address and the Boot Method (IP Config) of your Brother machine

If your Brother machine was purchased Network Ready, then the IP address can be determined via the control panel of the Brother machine or by printing a Report Page which is called User Settings list or Network Configuration (Network Config) list or report. For more information on how to print a Report Page, please refer to the User's Guide or Network User's Guide for your machine. The latest User's Guide or Network User's Guide are available in the Manuals section.

image

image

If the Boot Method (IP Config) is AUTO, change it to STATIC. You can change the setting from the Control Panel of the Brother machine by choosing LAN or Network and TCP/IP menu. For details, please refer to the User's Guide or Network User's Guide.

STEP 2 : Add a port in the printer driver

1. Open the printer driver properties and click on the Ports tab following the first listed instructions from Step1 to 6. Click on Add Port...

image

2. Choose Standard TCP/IP Port and click on New Port...

image

3. The Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard will start. Click on Next.

image

4. Enter your Brother machine's IP address that is checked by Step1 and click on Next.
    If "A port with that name already exists. Choose another port name." message appears, change the Port Name.
    For example: Brother_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your Brother machine's IP address.)

image

5. Click on Finish.

image

6. Confirm that the new port is listed and checked.

7. Click Configure Port...

image

8. Change the Protocol to Raw and click OK to close the driver properties.

image

source: http://is.gd/vsnvpg

My printer icon was green and was in sleep mode. Ichanged the protocol to raw and it worked out. I went to change the tcp/ip printer wizard and gave the ip address 10.0.1.11

It says device not found.

Try giving it another address, like 10.0.1.20 and see if the device gets found then.

Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician