Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My printer wont work. Brother HL-2170W

My printer won't work. Brother...
My printer won't work. Brother HL-2170W
5/31/2012
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician

Printer Doctor :

Hi there. The Printer Doctor is in and ready to help you! Please answer all my questions about your problem so that I can give my best diagnosis.

1) Please try to be a bit more specific about what happens when the "printer won't work". For example, does the computer even "see" the printer driver? Does it see it but the job never gets to the printer, etc?

Printer Doctor :

2) Please (if you know) provide the version of the driver you downloaded. You may also have gotten a corruption during the download and just need to do ir again - making sure to follow the install instructions as directed by Brother.

Customer:

I get a red error light on left front corner of printer. When I hit print, it goes through all the motions of printing but no paper comes out. It does have paper.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Thank you. Please stand by a bit...

Printer Doctor :

Did you just replace the drum or the toner cartridge?

Customer:

No, I do not have a new one either.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Hold on a bit more...

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Which LED light is red...the Toner, Drum, or Error light (from top to bottom)?

Customer:

Error.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Thank you! Now, is this light blinking or just on steadily?

Customer:

Steady.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. The Error LED indicates when the printer is in one of the following states:
No paper / Paper jam / Cover open

1) Turn the printer power OFF, and UNPLUG the power cord from the wall.
2) Remove the toner and drum and reset the toner into the drum.
3) Reseat the drum and toner assembly into the printer.
4) WAIT a FULL 5 minutes before plugging the power cord back into the wall.
5) Plug the power cord back into the wall and turn the printer power button ON.

Printer Doctor :

Let me know if the error light is now not flashing and is READY. Oh, also while the printer is OFF, check for any paper jams or foreign material obstructions in the paper path while the toner and drum are out of the machine.

Printer Doctor :

I'll be standing by here...

Printer Doctor :

Also, remove the paper supply and try some new, unused fresh paper.

Customer:

Plugged back in ,started up ,no paper came out, red error light back on.

Printer Doctor :

Okay. The solid red Error light definitely means that the printer is not sensing the presence of paper, or the paper feed/pickup roller is slipping on the surface of the paper and making the printer "think" there is no paper. Here is what I want you to do:

Printer Doctor :

1) Get a small piece of paper towel or cotton swabs and some strong alcohol (preferrably 90% or higher, but household 70% rubbing alcohol will do if that is all you have--just have to scrub harder/longer).

Customer:

Scrub what?

Printer Doctor :

2) Remove/pull out the paper supply tray.
3) Tip the printer backward/up so you can see and access the rubber feed roller.
4) Use the alcohol and paper towel/cotton swabs to scrub, scrub, scrub, the paper dust and other deposits on the entire surface of the the roller to make it able to again fully "grab" the paper.

Then, try truning the printer on again and see if the error light ids off and the page feeds.

Printer Doctor :

Let me know your results here when done.

If your problem is solved, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button for me (even if you have a Subscription or a Trial Membership) so I will get credit for helping you today. If you feel I've serviced you very well, positive feedback and a bonus is also greatly appreciated!

Customer:

Your all right doc, I was about ready to heave this thing . Worked great, thank you very much.

Printer Doctor :

Thank you! Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so I will be compensated for helping you, and HAPPY PRINTING FROM THE PRINTER DOCTOR!

Printer Doctor :

Bye, bye!

Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Thank you for the BONUS!
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician