Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

CANON PIXMA 1P100 DOES NOT PRINT. GOES THROUGH PRINTING MOTIONS.

Customer Question
SOUNDS LIKE IT IS PRINTING...
CANON PIXMA 1P100 DOES NOT PRINT. GOES THROUGH PRINTING MOTIONS. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS PRINTING BUT DOES NOT
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Printers
4/28/2012
Technician: DrKlahn, Engineer replied 5 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer

Good afternoon. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

It will be helpful to have some additional information to troubleshoot the problem.

If a full color image is printed, do any of the colors appear?

Does this problem occur regardless of what program is printing? We've recently seen a series of problems where specific programs print blank pages, but others work normally.

Does not print even in color. There are new ink cartridges. I have cleaned the printhead, done deep cleaning, deleted driver and downloaded driver.

Thank you. I am going to see if I can locate the service manual for the printer to find out of the printer can produce a self-test page. Please bear with me while I search. I will return within 15 minutes with what I've learned.

I tried a printhead cleaning which was supposed to print out a test page. It printed out a blank page

Thanks for your patience. I have been unable to locate a downloadable service manual for this printer. Therefore, this diagnosis is based on the symptoms the printer is displaying.

It appears that the motherboard's inkjet drive circuitry has failed at the output stages. This is based on the following:

1. The printer thinks it is working.

2. The printer does not detect an internal failure, so it is not in the processor electronics.

3. Nothing at all is printing, so the problem is common to all colors.

Now, the question is: Is it worth repairing?

Except for business-grade workgroup printers, few modern printers are repairable, and fewer are worth repairing. It is unfortunate that printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the cold, hard, real-world cost of having a printer repaired.

In most repair facilities there's a two hour shop time minimum charge, with technician time at $US 100/hour. Then comes the cost of parts - figure a $US 50 minimum for parts. The minimum cost of having a printer repaired is $US 250. Then add another $US 40 for shipping if the repair must be sent off to be fixed at a regional repair center outside your local area.

The rule of thumb for repair vs. replace is repair only when the repair cost is less than 2/3 of the cost of replacement. Therefore, if you can buy a replacement printer for $US 350 or less, you're better off with a replacement printer.

There may be an escape hatch on the warranty, however. If you purchased the printer with an American Express or Visa card, many of these cards double the manufacturer's warranty up to one additional year. If this might apply, check your cardholder's benefits flyer. If this does apply, contact your card supplier at the number in the benefits flyer to have the printer replaced or refunded.

Otherwise, the best choice is to purchase a replacement printer. In most cases, ebay is a good source for replacements. Used, refurbished and NOS ("New Old Stock") printers are generally available for all printers made within the last ten years. An identical replacement has several advantages:

1. Continue using the same printhead or toner cartridge (assuming it is removable, of course) and keep the replacement's unit as a spare.

2. Use up the ink / toner cartridges from the old printer.

3. Continue using any expendable supplies such as ink tanks or toner cartridges from the old printer.

4. Eliminates the need to remove existing printer software and replace it with different software -- always an "iffy" issue.

I've checked availability of the IP100 on ebay, and they range from $75 for used to $300 for brand-new units (see the link below).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ip100+-cable+-supply&_sacat=178&_odkw=ip100&_osacat=178&_armrs=1

So, to summarize:

1. The printer has failed internally, probably on the main circuit board.

2. It's not a user-repairable problem.

3. Repair will be expensive.

4. Replacement will run between $75 and $300.

Under the circumstances, I recommend investigating whether a credit card warranty extension exists. If not, replacement makes more sense than repair, because you will have a new printer with a new warranty rather than a repaired printer with no warranty.

If anything in this answer is unclear, or you'd like something explained in more detail, don't hesitate to ask.

If this answer is satisfactory and solved the problem, please click "Accept." I am only paid for answers that are Accepted; otherwise, I receive nothing. Feedback about the quality of an answer is always welcome.

If this answer is unsatisfactory, please do not accept it. Let me know why, give me a chance to correct it, and let me know how I can do better in the future.

Remember: Further discussion is always possible, even after an Answer has been accepted.

DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer