Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Canon Pixma MP450 I showing error code 6000 Please adv

Customer Question
My Canon Pixma MP450 i...
My Canon Pixma MP450 i showing error code 6000
Please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/24/2012
Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp pro replied 6 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp pro

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Are you sure its 6000 ... or 6A00 or 6A80 ... ?

Definitely 6000
Relist: Other.
Andy is not responding
Can I open it to any advisor
Technician: DrKlahn, Engineer replied 6 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer

Good morning. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

I'll pick up this question while Andy's offline. Please allow me 10 minutes to do some research on this error code and why it occurs, and I'll return with what I discover.

Good Morning, Bruce
I await your reply

Thanks for your patience. Here is what I have learned.

Error 6000 is a "diffuse" error condition in Canon printers. There's no single thing that causes it. Indeed, nearly anything can cause it, and some of them are very unusual - see the long list of causes at the web page below:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t159885-error_code_6000

Since there's no clear cause for the problem, I recommend proceeding as follows:

First, go through the paper jam clearing procedure very carefully, looking for even the tiniest bit of paper caught in the drive train or the paper path.

If nothing is found, then use a very strong flashlight to inspect the interior of the printer for foreign objects or something wound around a drive shaft.

If this fails as well, proceed as though you were going to replace an ink tank. If the printhead carriage fails to move to the ready position, you've found the problem. Remove all ink tanks, extract the printhead, and see if you can discover why the carriage is stuck in position.

If none of the above produce results, then the printer should be repaired or replaced. Unfortunately, except for business-grade workgroup printers, few modern printers are repairable, and fewer are worth repairing.

Most printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the cold, hard, real-world cost of repairing a printer.

There's a two hour shop time minimum charge, with technician time at $US 100/hour. Then add parts - figure a $US 50 minimum for parts. The minimum cost of having a printer repaired is $US 250.

The rule of thumb for repair vs. replace is 2/3 of the cost of replacement. Therefore, if you can buy a new printer for $350 or less, you're better off with the new printer.

There may be an escape hatch on the warranty, however. If you purchased the printer with an American Express or Visa card, many of these cards double the manufacturer's warranty up to one additional year. If this might apply, check your cardholder's benefits flyer. If this does apply, contact your card supplier at the number in the benefits flyer to have the printer replaced or refunded.

Otherwise, the best choice is to purchase a new printer.

Under JustAnswer rules, this comment qualifies as an Answer and I am required to post it as such. However, do not Accept it if this does not resolve the problem.

If anything in this answer is unclear, or you'd like something explained in more detail, don't hesitate to ask.

If this answer is satisfactory and solved the problem, please click "Accept." I am only paid for answers that are Accepted; otherwise, I receive nothing. Feedback about the quality of an answer is always welcome.

If this answer is unsatisfactory, please do not accept it. Let me know why, give me a chance to correct it, and let me know how I can do better in the future.

Remember: Further discussion is always possible, even after an Answer has been accepted.

DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Engineer