PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience:  IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert
61194327

I have an error code of 6A80 on a cannon MX700 printer. I

I have an error code of 6A80 on a cannon MX700 printer. I have turned the printer off and back on as instructed and the error code is still there. Wha tnext?
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 5 years ago.

How old is your printer?

The error 6A80 can mean a couple different things. Often this can be caused by a small scrap of paper, a foreign object like a paperclip or something that is blocking the normal operation of the printer such as the pads being out of place where the printhead parks. Other times, it can be a problem with the circuit board which would require service, or printer replacement.

I would suggest you turn on the printer and open the cover. Then unplug the printer. Try moving the printhead from side to side and look around with a flashlight for any paper scraps, paperclips, etc.

Also, see this website for another possible solution involving holding some keys while turning on the printer as well as some readers comments on how they have resolved this issue.

http://fix-your-printer.blogspot.com/2009/06/error-code-6a80-on-canon-printers.html

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not see any paper that is blocking the print head. Print head is parked to the right and can not move it by hand.

reviewed the answers on the included link and no luck.

What 's next?

You need to try and get the printhead unparked. It never moves when turning printer on and off I assume? There are several methods different people have used to unlock the printhead.

A toothpick, a piece of plastic, feeding a sheet of paper into the printer from the back and under the printhead, or aluminum foil are a few I have read about.

Here is another site of some people who have been able to clear this error. I would advise against trying to take the printer apart, but you could certainly try the other suggestions such as the foil, or the last post on the page.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/63860