Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My lexmark platinum pro 905 all-in-one wont print colors.

Customer Question
My lexmark platinum pro 905...
My lexmark platinum pro 905 all-in-one won't print colors. I've turned it off and on, replaced ink cartridges and deep-cleaned the print heads via the printer menu. I've cleaned the print heads myself with a cloth. Nothing works. What other suggestions do you have?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
3/12/2012
Technician: JACUSTOMER-q8jbuboz-,
 replied 6 years ago
JACUSTOMER-q8jbuboz-

JBradford :

Two questions. 1.) Can you print a test page from the printer panel itself? And if so, does it print color on the test page?

Customer :

yes I can, and no, there are no colors

JBradford :

Is this a new printer? Has it ever printed in color? Or are these replacement cartridges and just stopped working with these particular ones?

Customer :

The printer is about 6 months old. Yes it printed colors up to a few days ago. The cartridges are original Lexmark cartridges, never used other ones.

JBradford :

One thing I know Lexmark recommends, and will ask you to do should you need to contact their technical support, is to make sure the printer's firmware is up-to-date. Visit this link to dowload the latest firmware for your model. http://bit.ly/p905fw

Customer :

thank you, but I already updated the firmware and it did not solve the problem

JBradford :

Ok, if the firmware is current and it won't even print color from the front panel on the printer, I would be inclined to say it's more than likely a hardware problem. I'm going to go ahead an opt out of this question so someone else can jump in and hopefully give you some advice. Sorry I wasn't able to assist you. Good luck.

Technician: Lindie-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Lindie-mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, I'm still looking for someone who can help me solve this problem
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 6 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer. I enjoy solving computer, printer and networking issues, so I will be very happy and will do my best to help you.

Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Printers, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Part 1 of 3:
Probably the printhead is defective. However, please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts (the hole where the ink comes out) on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself (you may want to use gloves here)

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists.

Part 2 of 3:
If it doesn't work, please make sure you are using genuine and good (not old, expired, dried, etc) LEXMARK GENUINE Cartridges.

Part 3 of 3:
If no luck with good and genuine LEXMARK cartridges, then unfortunately the printhead is defective. (The printhead is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page) Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself.

If the printer is out of warranty, you may prefer a new printer for a similar/better price than a repair. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tinyurl.com/AmazonPrinterDeals

Please note I do NOT work for LEXMARK so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green Accept button below

Thank you very much!

John C.