Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson Stylus photo RX595. Keep getting "A printer error has…

Epson Stylus photo RX595. Keep...
Epson Stylus photo RX595. Keep getting "A printer error has occurred..." every time I turn power on. Printer is not connected to anything.
1/18/2012
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician

Printer Doctor :

Hi there. The Printer Doctor is in and ready to help you!

Printer Doctor :

Try leaving the printer completly disconnected from everything:

Printer Doctor :

1) If connected to the computer, DISCONNECT it from the computer (USB cable).

Printer Doctor :

2) Turn the printer power button OFF.

Printer Doctor :

3) Unplug the printer power AC cord from the wall.

Customer:

OK thanks...I've disconnected everything and turned power button off. Pulled plug from wall

Printer Doctor :

4) WAIT A FULL 10 MINUTES!

Customer:

Is that so the capacitors can discharge?

Printer Doctor :

5) Plug the power cord back into the wall. Power ON and see if the error is now gone.

Printer Doctor :

6) If the error is now gone, try to print a different simple document (NOT the one last sent to the printer).

Customer:

OK

Printer Doctor :

If it prints now, the problem was with the communication between the document/application and the printer driver -- NOT the printer itself.

Customer:

Still get same error message: "A printer error has occurred. Turn off the printer then press ON..."

Printer Doctor :

You did not wait a FULL 10 minutes as instructed, did you?

Customer:

Right, I did not...do you have time to wait 10 min

Printer Doctor :

Yes. The Unplugged time factor is for the printer to "forget " the last error message.

Customer:

OK...it's 8:20 california time, I'll wait until 8:30 to turn it back on

Printer Doctor :

Standing by...

Customer:

Thank you

Printer Doctor :

You say the "Printer is not connected to anything." Does that mean you just are trying to see if it will come to Ready on its own (which is ok)?

Customer:

Yes

Printer Doctor :

Okay, thank you.

Customer:

normally the printer is on our home network, plugged into the Mac "Time Capsule" and is used by 3 different wi-fi connected Macs. Tonight I unplugged it from the network and plugged it into my PC (which is NOT on the home network) to try and SCAN a document. That didn't work either so I turned it off, unplugged from my PC, plugged it back into Time Capsule and that's when the problems started.

Customer:

It's been 10 minutes...want me to turn printer back on?

Customer:

(after I plug it back in to power!)

Printer Doctor :

Okay, but just so I understand your progress in following my steps -- is the printer connected or not to ANY computer during the 10 minute wait period?

Customer:

Not connected to ANYTHING

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Plug the power cord back into the wall, and turn the power switch ON.

Printer Doctor :

Wait for the printer to "do its thing" and initialize and come to normal Ready state.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Still get error message...darn...

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Please stand by a few while I deeper with Epson Support...

Customer:

OK

Printer Doctor :

Have you recently experienced a paper jam?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

when my wife was using it ... but she cleared the jam and it worked OK on network after that

Customer:

Just got a normal status screen after turning it on and off a couple of times while plugged into network! Going to see if it will accept print jobs from one of the macs

Printer Doctor :

Okay. Did you make certain that ALL of the paper was removed from the paper path? Sometimes, even a tiny bit of paper can be torn off and block a sensor, even though you cannot physically "see" it. If the last jammed page did not come out in one whole piece, it is likely there is some of it still there.

Printer Doctor :

You need to use a flashlight to closely examine the paper feed path , etc. to see if anything is there. You can also use a can of compressed air to blow the areas out for what you cannot see, then power up and try again.

Customer:

While checking the guts of the printer I found several chips of plastic or paint in the bottom of the device...they look like they broke off of something. My son just sent a print job through without any problem and my wife has another one coming thru now...looks like we were successful!!!

Printer Doctor :

GREAT! You did well! Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button for me (even if you have a Subscription or a Trial Membership) so I will get credit for helping you today. If you feel I've serviced you very well, positive feedback and a bonus is also greatly appreciated!

For future problems, you can ask me a question directly by going to my page at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-printerdr/

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer, and HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Printer Doctor!

Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor, Sr. Printer Technician