Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon MP530 Error Code 5110. Ink cartridge carrier is on the…

Customer Question
Canon MP530 Error Code 5110...
Canon MP530 Error Code 5110. Ink cartridge carrier is on the right side. Can't be moved to the left by hand.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
1/14/2012
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 6 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

The "error message 5100" indicates carriage mechanism error, please open the scanner unit of the printer, when the cartridges come to the replacement position, try to look behind the cartridges, you will see a clear plastic strip it is called encoder strip, like the sample image below. Clean it with a soft lint free cloth, start from one end and stop to another end of the strip. Then, check the issue.

The printer cartridge doesn't move from the right side. It does not move to the cartridge replacement position. This is why I said that I can not move the cartridge unit to the left.
Please turn off the printer, then manually move the cartridge to the left. Try this few times, then connect only the power cord and check the issue, let me know.
I can't move the cartridge at all. It is stuck on the right side.
Please clean the encoder strip once and let e know the result.
I cleaned the encorder strip. There was nothing on the cloth. Of course, I can't clean the strip on the right side because the cartridge carrier is there.
When you power on the printer, do you hear any noise or do you think, the cartridges are trying to move?
I hear the usual startup noises for about 5 seconds. There is a pause and then a click which sounds like it came fromt the left side. The startup noises should go for more than 5 seconds.
I don't know, you will like my honest answer or not, but I cannot tell you anything except truth. The problem you are facing seems to be caused by defective carriage motor or loose carriage belt. In this case, you have no choice except repairing the printer, but before that check the carriage path very carefully for any type of foreign objects, that can block the carriage from moving. I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

The belt is in excellent shape - good tension. It it were the carriage motor, I think I should be able to move the carriage manually. I can't see any foreign objects at all.

I knew all this before I came to JustAnswers. I don't know any more than when I started.

Thanks for your effort.