Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My printer and computer suddenly will not talk to each other.

Customer Question
The scanner and copier work...
My printer and computer suddenly will not talk to each other. The scanner and copier work independently.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
1/6/2012
Technician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 6 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, I really want to get this problem sorted as I have deadlines to meet, thanks
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 6 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Do you get an error message?
What version of windows or mac are you using?
I get a message to say there is no printer. I'm using windows 7
What is the exact error including any numbers?
It says
Word cannot print . There is no printer installed.

There are no numbers
Do other programs print ok? For example is only word doing this?
Nothing prints from the computer but the printer copies and prints independently
Ok then is the error word can not print or is it something like "can not communicate with printer"?
It says exactly

Ok click on start and then in the search box type in printers and press enter. The printers and devices window should open. Do you see your printer listed there?
Yes and I've clicked the box for monitoring
Ok please try reinstalling this way make sure you do not skip any of these steps.
Test with both word and one other program afterwards.
Please bookmark or favorite this page so you can get back to me.
Then click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)
Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)
Restart the computer and reinstall the machine.
Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.
Let me know the results as well as the exact error if you get an error.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back is appreciated.

Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
It seems to be taking forever to install. It's been stuck on Easy Photo Print for ages. I'm afraid I'm not very good at this!
Don't worry take your time and let me know if you get stuck.
It surely shouldn't take this long - it is still on install.
Ok that normally means the printer is not being detected by the computer. This normally happens if the cable connecting the printer to the computer has failed and needs to be replaced. Try using a different cable doing the same thing as before.
It still doesn't work.
Ok next try installing it on a different computer. If it does the same thing on that computer it means the port on the printer for the cable has failed. This is integrated into the main board which means to replace it you need to replace the main board. Unfortunately that can sometimes cost more than replacing the machine itself. If the machine is less than a year old this should be covered by your warranty.
I haven't got another computer
Unfortunately that is the only way to test the port on the printer itself. You could ask someone you know to test it on there computer.
If it is the main board that has failed why do the copier and scanner still work?
It's not the main board it's the port that connects to the computer. It is integrated into the main board you can not replace just the port.
I have to go now. Can I get back to you tomorrow, please?
You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions
Thanks - I'm sorry if I'm a bit dim!
I took the printer back to Comet this morning to see what was wrong and they are going to replace it as it was not repairable. Thanks anyway
Christine
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician