Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

HP Office Jet Pro 8600 Plus We are frustrated by this printer

Customer Question
HP Office Jet Pro 8600...
HP Office Jet Pro 8600 Plus

We are frustrated by this printer as it seems to go to "sleep" after the set time of 15 min and then it can't be awakened! The only thing that works is to disconnect the plug. It won't shut off by using the power button either.

It won't print after the 15 min either. It says the printer is printing, but it never does.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
11/28/2011
Technician: Mary, Digital Printing Specialist replied 6 years ago
Mary
Mary, Digital Printing Specialist
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your printer issue.

Let's first check the firmware revision of the printer, as some earlier ones were known to have this issue.

Print out a self-test page and let me know your firmware version:

On the printer, touch the right-arrow button
Select Setup
Select Reports
Select Printer Status Report

To begin with, when I touched the button, it did not respond. I had to disconnect the plug in the back of the printer to get it to restart as the power button doesn't respond either.

Firmware version: CLP1CN1125AR

We suspect it goes to sleep and we can't wake it up again! LOL

That is indeed what's happening as, by default this printer (in being "green") is designed to go into this power saving mode every 15 minutes.

It should be waking up though, and that's why I asked for your firmware version, so see if any updates are available.

I'm having some silly product name conflicts in my database. Instead of going by name, can you give me the model number of your printer instead? It will most likely be found on the barcode sticker - probably on the back of the machine. It will look something like this: C4224A.

Thanks in advance.
CM750A
Fabulous, thank you so much.

Give me a few minutes to do the research and I'll be right back.
Ok, let's turn off the sleep mode and see if that solves your frustration.

Naturally the printer will use a bit more power (very little, to be honest) during the day, but if that is a concern, then you can always power down at the end of the day and turn it back on in the morning.

An inkjet printer, when not being used, consumes virtually no power - just about enough to keep the panel buttons and screen lit up. Less than a lightbulb, I would guess. Unlike a laser printer, which is a power hog even when not being used, an inkjet printer is a non-issue.

Ok then, do this and tell me what you see:

Touch the "ECO" button on the printer's control panel display
Choose the Sleep option
Do you see an option to disable/turn this off? If so, do it.

OK, but once again I had to unplug it to restart it.

And, no, it only offers turn off after 5, 10 or 15 minutes! GRRR

At this point, if it is locking up like that, it sounds like a machine, rather than a simple configuration, issue.

How old is this printer? Hopefully still under warranty?

Also, I'm looking to see if there is any way to disable the sleep mode so we can at least try that.

Would you believe this is brand new?

We had the same problem with our last HP printer which was also new, but was an 8500.

I'm glad it's brand new - RETURN IT and demand a refund.

I've been reading online about these complaints for both the 8500 and the 8600.

And what is more strange (can't give too much detail why) - my, um, own database is also very informational-thin on both devices. Can't locate usual documents, drivers, software.

And the HP webpage, although this is a new-ish product, completely errors out when trying to access the support and documentation areas.

At this point I'd recommend you get your money back on this machine and switch brands.

If you can describe your needs in this type of printer, I'll be happy to help you do some research.

My personal experience is that HP makes great laser printers, but their inkjets just don't quite live up to the marketing promises. But of course, that is just my own opinion.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
John, Computer Science Engineer