Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS Degree in Computer Technology.
46422908

Epson Workforce 1100 wont print in black. Need to clean the printhead?

Epson Workforce 1100 printer. Will not print in black, yet cartiridges are new and show to be full. Will print in other colors. Help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

There are only a couple of reasons this could happen. Try removing the black cartridge and use a q-tip with some alcohol or windex to clean the contact points on both the cartridge and in the carrier. When they are completely dry re install it and see if this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No change. Part of document in red prints, but the bulk of the document is in black lettering that does not print.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
OK. There is only 2 things left. You either have a defective black cartridge or you have a defective printhead. If you want to narrow it down you will need to exchange the cartridge again and see if another new one works. Keep the receipt and if it does not fix it you can always return it. If it turns out to be th printhead you can order a new head from Epson for about $70.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can get a new printer for $129, so I probably will not order the print head. This is the second set of new cartridges so I will not be trying that.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
That is why I gave you the price of the new head. It is not really cost effective to fix it at this point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your efforts. I am sorry it did not help.

Richard, Your suggestion was the best and most accurate. I went through the Epson service center. They had me clean the heads several times, which to my surprise used up all my ink in the new printer cartridges. Then they said that meant I needed a new printer head. So they are sending me a voucher to get a new printer. Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
That is great. It sounds like you are going to come out in good shape. Glad I could help.